63°

Five Songs You May Have Missed This Summer

TightenUp by the Black Keys
Creative Commons
TightenUp by the Black Keys

Gold Guns Girls by Metric This Canadian new wave band has a sound that is infectiously toe-tapping. This rambunctious song has a driving drum part with melodic guitars that you can’t help but nod your head to. What’s the best part of the song you ask? It is by far the lyrics; they were inspired by the infamous movie Scarface. A song about the overindulgence someone goes through when the world is not enough; it’s simply an amazing song. Tighten Up by The Black Keys They do an amazing job of mixing their blues influences with a modern rock sound. Also, the singer is perhaps one of the most soulful male voices I’ve ever heard. This song was an after thought for The Keys but it is perfect example of what they do. You can’t go wrong with a whistle introduction. Nice Guys by We Are Scientists These Scientists are having a good time and their listeners can’t help but have one too. Their comedic videos, usually up-beat songs, and general demeanor encourage fun. Roaring guitar, with thundering drums, a smooth baseline, and poignant lyrics combine to make this song a catchy little number. Die By The Drop by The Dead Weather This song is kind of sinister, nevertheless it does an amazing job of infusing people with energy. The call and response vocals mix with the dark instrumentation in a way that really gives this song life. What I’m saying is this song will make you want to break things, so happy hunting. Madame Van Damme by Lightspeed Champion This one-man-band is one of the most unique looking and sounding bands out there. This particular song has an upbeat riff with melancholy lyrics, mixing opposite emotions in the form of a captivating song.

Ariel Rodriguez served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years: Arts Editor: Fall 2011 *Music Editor: 2010-2011 *The position of music editor was developed in Fall 2010, and disappeared in Fall 2012. Elizabeth Dow served as music editor from 2011-2012.