63°

Stocks Rising

Stocks+Rising+
Stocks Rising

Even the most enthusiastic of Beacon fans didn’t see it coming. In fact, the 2009-2010 UMass Boston year in athletics took everyone by surprise. It was a year that will help define the athletics’ program for years to come. Put it this way: If the 2008-2009 campaign helped put the Beacons on the radar in the Little East Conference, the 2009-2010 campaign definitely put them on the map.

It all began in the fall with the women’s soccer team. After a magical 2008 season, the Beacons proved they weren’t just another one-hit wonder. The squad bashed a number of school records on their way to a program-best 14-6-1 record. For their efforts, the Beacons earned their first ever birth in the ECAC tournament. And who can forget the women’s volleyball team? After coming up just points short of capturing the LEC Conference Title in 2008, they made sure that 2009 wouldn’t end the same. The Beacons were dominant as they took down the LEC Conference Title for the first time in their history. They racked up a program-best 30-5 record on their way to advancing to the round of 32 at the NCAA Division III Tournament.

The winter didn’t disappoint either. The women’s hockey team skated to a program-best 17-10 record. The season included a 8-game winning streak that saw the Beacons outscore their opponents 45-12. Head Coach Maura Crowell was rewarded by being selected as an Assistant Coach for the 2010 USA Hockey Women’s National Festival played in August.

Finally, there was the spring. The softball team essentially threw out the old record book as they broke almost every record in school history. They finished the season with a program best 21 wins. Then wrapping things up was the epic season the baseball team delivered. It was not only the most exciting postseason run in school history, but arguably in Division III history as well. The Beacons started it off by dominating the LEC Tournament as the 4 seed. They topped that by rolling through the New England Regional as the 7 seed. This earned them a trip to Wisconsin for the Division III College World Series. All provided for a perfect ending to the best athletic campaign in school history.

While the 2009-2010 campaign provided enough excitement for anyone who’s a fan of sports, the 2010-2011 campaign promises even more. Each squad is looking stronger and hungrier than ever. The returning student-athletes are coming back with another year of experience under their belts, while the freshman come in with a desire to prove themselves. It all sets up the possibility that this could be the year that sends the UMass Boston athletics program through the roof. Stay tuned.

Sebastian Lena served as the sports editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2009-2010 Lena also served as business manager Fall 2011