63°

WELCOME BACK WEEK SPRING 2009

Dear Students,On behalf of our entire community, WELCOME to UMass Boston. We’ve planned a great series of programs and events to help you Restart and Power Up in the new year. Make sure to take advantage of all of the learning opportunities available both inside and outside the classroom. We wish you great success for spring 2010! Patrick K. DayVice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Monday, January 25thPower StationStop by to restore your energy and get refreshed with snacks guaranteed to keep you sharp and alert. You’ll also receive tips about staying healthy during the long winter season. Sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.10:00–11:00amMcCormack 2nd FloorRise and Fall: Power SkatingAfter all of those holiday treats, it’s time to get your blood pumping with ice skating, a DJ, and hot chocolate! Come with a group or by yourself to make new friends! We encourage you to bring your own skates, but a limited number of skates will be available first-come, first-served. Sponsored by the Undergraduate Student Government Association.11:00am–2:00pmClark Athletic CenterQuick Play Video Game Tournament – Guitar HeroSo you think you’ve got game? Show us what you’ve got at the interactive video game station, featuring surround sound, a giant screen, game seats, racing consoles, and the best gaming around. Fastest hands for the day will score a $200 prize! If classic arcade is more your style, try your hand at Ms. Pacman, Tekken 4, or Golden Tee. Get the highest score for the week in any game to earn a $100 prize. Sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council.  1:00–4:00pmCampus Center TerraceBonus Level – Graduate Student Open HouseStop by the Office of Graduate Studies for pizza and soda and learn more about important university resources. Representatives from the Financial Aid Office, University Health Services, the Bursar’s Office, and the Graduate Employee Organization will be on hand to answer your questions. Sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies. 3:30-5:00pmCampus Center, Room 2115Latin Dance RevolutionNothing gets your heart beating like Latin rhythms. Stop by to join in a demonstration by professional dance and fitness instructors from the Beacon Fitness Center. Nachos and “Nojitos” will make the party complete. Free for students while supplies last. Sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Beacon Fitness Center, and the Intramurals and Recreation Program.5:00–7:00pmCampus Center TerraceTuesday, January 26thWOW – A Warm Welcome from Chancellor MotleyPower up for the day with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Grab a muffin, Danish or piece of fruit to go. Meet Chancellor Motley as you enjoy a breakfast treat. Free for students while supplies last. Sponsored by the Office of the Chancellor.7:30–9:00amCampus Center Upper LevelConnect the DotsStudent Involvement FairUMass Boston offers a variety of engagement opportunities outside the classroom that run the gamut from social to cultural to educational. Be sure to stop by to connect with students representing over 85 undergraduate clubs, centers, and organizations! Sponsored by the Office of Student Activities.11:00am–2:00pmCampus Center TerraceRestart and Power Up with Jeff Taylor, founder and former CEO of Monster.comJoin us for a lively and energizing session with Jeff Taylor, UMass Alumnus and founder and former CEO of Monster.com.  He’s been described as “the quintessential example of what a UMass student can do” and describes himself as a “student of life.”  Just how did this former UMass student orchestrate his entrepreneurial success?  He started as an engaged student, active with the newspaper and in student organizations and as a campus tour guide.  Don’t miss this unique opportunity! Sponsored by the Dean of Students.3:00–4:30pmCampus Center BallroomBonus Level – Graduate Student Open HouseStop by the Office of Graduate Studies for pizza and soda and learn more about important university resources. Representatives from the Financial Aid Office, University Health Services, the Bursar’s Office, and the Graduate Employee Organization will be on hand to answer your questions. Sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies. 3:30-5:00pmCampus Center, Rm.2115Wednesday, January 27thPower StationStop by to restore your energy and get refreshed with snacks guaranteed to give keep you sharp and alert. You’ll also receive tips about staying healthy during the long winter season. Sponsored by the Dean of Students.10:00–11:00amCampus Center 2nd Floor CatwalkSim CityVolunteer FairStep up and build your community by volunteering your time. More than 20 organizations will provide information about opportunities where you can make a difference. Sponsored by the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement.11:00am–2:00pmCampus Center TerraceQuick Play Video Game Tournament – Virtual Reality BowlingAre you a “virtual” high roller? Show us what you’ve got at the interactive video game station, featuring surround sound, a giant screen, game seats, racing consoles, and the best gaming around. Best score for the day will win a $200 prize! If classic arcade is more your style, try your hand at Ms. Pacman, Tekken 4, or Golden Tee. Get the highest score for the week in any game to earn a $100 prize. Sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council. 11:00am–2:00pmCampus Center Dining HallJUNK ROCK BAND EXTRAORDINAIRERecycled PercussionDon’t miss this high energy performance by America’s top percussion ensemble. Experience the powerful industrial drumming backed by metal grinding guitar and hip-hop/funk DJ Pharaoh. Unlike anything you have ever heard before! Sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.Free with UMass Boston ID. Guests are $5.Doors open at 3:15pm, show starts at 4:00pmCampus Center Ballroom

Bonus Level – Graduate Student Open HouseStop by the Office of Graduate Studies for pizza and soda and learn more about important university resources. Representatives from the Financial Aid Office, University Health Services, the Bursar’s Office, and the Graduate Employee Organization will be on hand to answer your questions. Sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies. 3:30-5:00pmCampus Center, Rm.2115Thursday, January 28thRated “E” for EveryoneStudent Centers Open HouseNine student centers serve a variety of student populations at UMass Boston, provide resources, programming, and just one more way to get involved.  Stop by for refreshments and meet the members of the following Centers and see how you can get involved. Sponsored by:-Advocacy Resource for Modern Survival (ARMS)-Asian Student Center-Black Student Center-Casa Latina-Center for Students with disABILITIES-Queer Student Center-Veterans Center-Wellness Center-Women’s Center11:00am–1:00pmCampus Center, 3rd FloorQuick Play Video Game Tournament – Gran Turismo 4Have you got a need for speed? Show us what you’ve got at the interactive video game station, featuring surround sound, a giant screen, game seats, racing consoles, and the best gaming around. Best driver of the day will score a $200 prize! If classic arcade is more your style, try your hand at Ms. Pacman, Tekken 4, or Golden Tee. Get the highest score for the week in any game to earn a $100 prize. Sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council. 11:00am–1:00pmCampus Center TerracePower StationStop by to restore your energy and get refreshed with snacks guaranteed to give keep you sharp and alert. You’ll also receive tips about staying healthy during the long winter season. Sponsored by University Health Services.4:00–5:00pmScience Center, 2nd Floor CatwalkGSA 2K10Graduate Student Assembly ReceptionDid you know there are over eighteen recognized professional associations that serve graduate students? Did you know that the GSA offers professional development and research grants? Stop by this reception to meet your fellow graduate students or to learn more about involvement opportunities at UMass Boston. Sponsored by the Graduate Student Assembly.4:00–6:00pmUniversity Dining Club, Campus Center, 2nd FloorCenter Stage featuring Illusionist Craig KargesCraig Karges’ performance is an extraordinary blend of mystery, humor, psychology and intuition. Karges dazzles the mind as he challenges his audiences to question what is real and what is unreal, what is possible and what is impossible. He has been named Entertainer of the Year six times by the National Association for Campus Activities. Come see the show that has amazed viewers of the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno”, “Larry King Live” and more. Sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council.Free with UMB ID; other $5Campus Center BallroomDoors open at 5:30 pm, show starts 6:00pm.

Friday, January 29thPower StationStop by to restore your energy and get refreshed with snacks guaranteed to give keep you sharp and alert. You’ll also receive tips about staying healthy during the long winter season. Sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.10:00–11:00amMcCormack 2nd FloorDiner DashCome serve up lunch at the Boston Living Center, a non-profit community and resource center whose mission is to foster the wellness of all HIV-positive people and respond to the changing needs of the HIV/AIDS community. The group will travel together to the program on the T. Sponsored by the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement. Please email [email protected] to volunteer.10:30am–2:30pmThe Boston Living Center29 Stanhope Street, Boston, MA 02116Play to Win!Cheer on the Beacons at the Clark Athletic Center. Sponsored by the Department of Athletics.Come out to see a fast-paced game of hockey featuring the UMass Boston Beacons against the Norwich Cadets.Women’s Hockey Beacons vs Norwich University: 4:00– 6:00pmMen’s Hockey Beacons vs Norwich University: 7:00–9:00pmClark Athletic CenterNights on the Town: The Donkey ShowFrom its six-year run in New York City to a world tour from London to Seoul, the celebrated smash hit The Donkey Show now takes Boston by storm, bringing you the ultimate disco experience—a crazy circus of mirror balls and feathered divas, of roller skaters and hustle queens. Come party on the dance floor to all the 70s disco hits you know by heart as the show unfolds around you, telling the story of A Midsummer Night’s Dream through the great 70s anthems, including “We Are Family,” “I Love the Nightlife,” “Car Wash,” “Ring My Bell,” and “Last Dance.” The enchanted forest of Shakespeare’s classic comedy becomes the glittered world of retro disco as the lovers escape from their real lives to experience a night of dream, abandon, and fantasy. Arrive early to get a good view!! Tickets available in the Office of Student Activities (Campus Center, 3rd floor), $10 with UMass Boston ID, limit 2 per person. Must be 18 to attend. Sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council.8:00 PM, Pre-show at 7:30 pmOberon American Repertory Theatre2 Arrow Street (corner of Mass Ave and Arrow St.), Cambridge, MA 02138If you require disability-related accommodations at any event listed in this booklet, including dietary accommodations, please contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at 617.287.5800 or email [email protected]’ll do our best to meet all requests in a timely manner.