66°

Beacon Update

Baseball: The University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons baseball team began their season down in Florida last week. Entering the 2019 campaign, the Beacons came in at eighteenth in the NCAA Division III rankings. They lost a couple of really talented players from last year, but will be poised to prove why they are a top 25 team with their current personnel. Perhaps their biggest strengths this season will be experience and leadership due to the fact that the Beacons have eight seniors on their roster. They are led by Captains Nick Herzog, Eddie Riley, Charlie Huegi, and Joe Maguire; all four of whom were essential to the Beacons’ success last season. In Florida, the Beacons came away with a record of 44, while winning three of their final four games down south. Now that they have returned home, they will play four games this week at Monan Park. The Beacons will take on Roger Williams University on Tuesday at 6 p.m., Saint Joseph’s College on Wednesday at 3 p.m., and then play a double header on Saturday against Keene State College beginning at 1 p.m. 
Softball: The UMass Boston Beacons softball team also just got back from their trip to Florida, from which they came back with a record of 55. Senior Captain, Roxanne Vento, had herself a tremendous trip as she drove in 10 runs and hit a homer as well. Junior Giovanna Bonilla has built an impressive batting average of .533 on 16 hits through her first 10 games. In the fifth game of the year, junior Jess Greenspan became only the third Beacon in program history to record 200 career strikeouts. With another year of eligibility after this young season, she will surely have a chance to surpass 300 strikeouts and maybe even make a run at 400. On Wednesday, the Beacons will play a double header at Emmanuel College starting at 6 p.m. They will have another double header on Saturday when they host Plymouth State University at 1 p.m. 
Men’s Tennis: The UMass Boston men’s tennis team is 12 to begin the 2018-2019 season. Their most recent loss came in a 63 match against Endicott College, but the Beacons were still able to come away with some positives. Junior Captain Onkgopotse Mokoka and freshman Roy Platteel won at third doubles. Sophomore Alexander Comerchero was the only Beacon with a singles victory in the match. He still had something left in the tank to pair up with freshman Nandish Shah and battle for another doubles win. The Beacons’ next match will be this Saturday at Salem State University.
Lacrosse: The UMass Boston lacrosse team has struggled a bit to start off the year, as they are returning from Florida with a 1–4 record. With that said, the season is just getting underway and the Beacons will have ample opportunity to get to where they want to be. They are led by senior captains Matt Murphy, Cameron Dixson, and Jack Fournier. This week, the Beacons will have a chance to bounce back on Wednesday at Trinity College at 7 p.m., and on Saturday at Keene State College at 1 p.m.