66°

Black History Month: Black Card Revoked

Thursday, Feb. 7—the Black Student Center (BSC) hosted a recreational game night in honor of Black History Month in University Hall. Over 30 people gathered together for a rather intimate and familiar four rounds of ‘Black Card Revoked’ via Kahoot, with categories ranging from many different areas of black culture, experience, and history. The event lasted from 5-7 p.m. with an intro and intermission featuring streamed music from the likes of Blueface, YBN Cordae, Lil Boosie, and others.

Some of the questions asked during the game were things like: “What is Soulja Boy’s phone number?” “How many fights did Will [Smith] get into before he was sent to Bel Air?” As well as more controversial ones, like, “What do you put on your grits?” Answers varied from the basic salt and pepper to sugar for those of Caribbean descent and cheese for those from the South. Some of the music-themed questions sparked furious debate over which artist said what line. After the first round most of the audience put their heads together in a group effort to figure out how the scores were calculated and who won what. Those who did win or placed into the top ranks had their names written on the board and were showered with salty jokes, applause, and cheers from the rest of the players.

During the short intermission there was joking and dancing erupting from the crowd, as people jammed out to their favorite tunes and traded banter with their friends. There were also some refreshments with a variety of fruit and chicken served to those in attendance. The third round proved to be the most difficult for a good majority of the audience, being the black history round which covered the many great accomplishments of black musicians, actors, and activists, with impressive if not obscure details about their lives. Toward the end of the event more people showed up bringing more to the fun, and once the event concluded there was a short survey given to those who participated in the festivities.

With Black History Month now in full swing this isn’t the only event the BSC is going to be hosting, with Black Love Week happening the week of Feb. 11, which will feature speed dating, a spa day, discussions, and a dinner/movie night event, with a royal ball event topping it off at the end of the week, featuring music from DJ Smuney. Those who attend the are advised to dress to impress. On Feb. 16, there will be a community service event as well. If you’re interested in attending these events, check the events calendar on page two of this issue.