66°

Keys to the Patriots Sixth Super Bowl Victory

Edelman displaying the Vince Lombardi trophy; 2019. 

The great New England Patriots dynasty continues as they took down the Los Angeles Rams 133 in Super Bowl LIII. The game was very tightly contested considering the first touchdown of the game did not come until the fourth quarter. Then once the Patriots took the lead in the fourthit was all but over for the Rams. So, let’s take a look at just how the Patriots won their sixth Super Bowl title.

Defense

The Super Bowl was certainly a defensive dominant affair as there has never been a lower-scoring Super Bowl in history. Although the Rams were able to hold Tom Brady and the Patriots’ offense to just one touchdown, the Patriots’ defense was just a little better holding the explosive Rams’ offense to just three points. The Patriots defense was all over Jared Goff, sacking him a total of four times and forcing him to throw an ugly interception late in the fourth quarter. The Patriots’ defense was also very keen on stopping the run, only allowing a total of 62 rushing yards against a dangerous Rams backfield consisting of Todd Gurley and CJ Anderson. If the MVP was not an individual award, then the Patriots defense would have gotten it.

The Running Game

One of the question marks going into the Super Bowl was whether or not the Patriots would be able to run the ball just as they did against the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Chargers. But as it turned out, the Patriots continued their dominance in the running game, rushing for a total of 154 yards with 94 of them coming from rookie running back Sony Michel. The running game was especially effective on the final Patriots drive following the Stephon Gilmore interception, breaking out two 26-yard runs that led to the eventual game-icing field goal.

Coaching

The Rams were simply out-coached by Bill Belichick and Brian Flores during the Super Bowl, and there is no other way to put it. The fact that the Rams offense averaged 33 points per game during the regular season and could only muster three points is just embarrassing, and a lot of the blame has to be on the coach.

Experience

Experience definitely played a huge part in the Super Bowl, especially when you look at how timid Goff and the Rams’ offense played. The fact that the Rams ran the ball on a third down with roughly seven minutes to go in the *Super Bowl* baffles me. Also, the fact that Goff forgot his own snap count and cost his team five yards on a false start is simply unacceptable in the Super Bowl. You could say that neither the Rams’ nor the Patriots’ offenses played their best. In fact, there were 707 yards in total offense between the two teams, and 632 total punting yards, which is unheard of especially in a Super Bowl. But when it came down to crunch time only one team was ready.

Julian Edelman

Last but not least, the MVP himself, Julian Edelman. Without Edelman, the headlines this week might be about how Tom Brady is too old, or now Brady has a 54 record in the Super Bowl which is something Brady simply does not deserve. Edelman was the only thing going for most of the night for the Patriots offense, and he set up a crucial field goal to open the scoring. Since the MVP is an individual award, Edelman’s 141 yards on 10 receptions definitely made him worthy.

Well, that’s a wrap. What a season it was for the Patriots, continuing the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen. Going from “Brady’s too old” and “he’s falling off a cliff,” to six-time Super Bowl champion is something special. Now, it is time for the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics to continue this trend of Boston championships. Cannot wait for the next parade!

Jonathan Hopkins, Sports Editor