66°

Patriots Win Their Sixth Super Bowl Title

In the lowest scoring game in Super Bowl history, the New England Patriots outlasted the Los Angeles Rams with a final score of 133. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick continue to prevail and prove the doubters wrong, winning their sixth Super Bowl title together. If they hadn’t yet, they now certainly have entered uncharted territory. 
Both defenses seemed well prepared and able to adjust quickly on the fly, as it was only 33 through three quarters of play. With about seven minutes remaining in the fourth, Brady threw a beautiful pass to Rob Gronkowski which was good for 29 yards and brought the Patriots down to the two-yard line. On the very next play, Sony Michel ran up the middle for the game’s only touchdown. Inside the five-minute mark, the Rams finally found themselves threatening to score as they had driven down the field to the 27-yard line. However, Jared Goff threw a pass to Brandin Cooks as he was heading towards the end zone and Stephon Gilmore came down with a clutch interception. The Patriots wisely ran the ball eight straight times to chew down the clock. They were able to drive 72 yards, where they were faced with a fourth down and inches while also in field-goal range. A first down would have allowed the Patriots to take a knee and end the game, but a field goal would put them up by two scores and seal the deal. Sure enough, Stephen Gostkowski nailed the game-clinching 41-yarder to make it 133. The Rams got into field-goal range but missed with five ticks left on the clock, making the Patriots champions yet again.
Although he did enough to earn the victory, Brady definitely did not have his best Super Bowl performance. Julian Edelman was the stand-out player on the offensive side of the football and, deservedly so, won Super Bowl MVP. The gritty receiver finished with 10 catches for 141 yards and also had an eight-yard carry. Since making his remarkable catch in Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons, Edelman has been through a ton of ups and downs. He tore his ACL the following preseason, and then upon making a full recovery for this preseason, he was suspended four games for PEDs. Many were skeptical if he would ever be the same, and even if so, how would he be able to adapt while jumping into things in week five after missing the entire previous season as well? Each week throughout the year he seemed to improve, and during the playoffs he really took his game to a whole new level. He now sits just behind Jerry Rice on the all-time postseason receiving yards list. 
The Patriots have now won three of the last five Super Bowls and have further cemented their dynasty. They had a down year by their standards throughout the regular season, but flipped the switch and looked like a totally new team come January. To put what this team accomplished in perspective, they are the first team to return to the Super Bowl after losing it since the 1994 Buffalo Bills. On top of that, they are the first to win the Super Bowl after losing it since the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins. Both Gronkowski and Devin McCourty have been rumored to be considering retirement, which means this could have been their last game. Whatever they end up deciding to do, one thing that is for sure is that Brady will be back for yet another season.  He was asked last week if there was any chance he would walk away after this game, and he said zero percent. It is more evident than ever that with Brady and Belichick at the helm, you absolutely cannot count the Patriots out. They surely will enjoy this for now, but the Patriots will be back next year poised as ever to contend for back-to-back championships.