66°

Beacon Update

Men’s Soccer: In the final two games of the season, UMass Boston’s men’s soccer team defeated Springfield College 1-0 and then tied Western Connecticut State University 1-1 in double overtime. The Beacons ended their year with a stellar 12-3-3 overall record, and a solid 4-2-2 conference record. Due to the majority of the conference having good records as well, UMass Boston is going to have the five seed in the LEC tournament. To begin the postseason, the Beacons will have a rematch of their final game of the regular season, as they will be taking on Western Connecticut State University on the road at 7:00 PM this Tuesday in the Little East Conference quarterfinals. It is single elimination, so this could potentially be the final game for the men’s soccer team until next year. After having such a successful season which included multiple four-game winning streaks, hopefully the Beacons can make a postseason run.
Women’s Soccer: UMass Boston’s women’s soccer team saw its 14-game winning streak come to an end this past weekend when they tied Western Connecticut State University 0-0 in double overtime. The streak was bound to come to an end at some point, and honestly it is probably bets that it came in the season’s final contest, rather than in the postseason. The Beacons finished with a 17-2-1 overall record, while they went undefeated in the Little East Conference with a 7-0-1 record. While Western Connecticut State University also went 7-0-1 in the LEC, UMass Boston owned the tiebreaker due to their overall record. This means the Beacons won the LEC regular-season title and will have the number one seed throughout the tournament. This bodes well for them, seeing how they went a perfect 9-0 at home this season. The postseason schedule is yet to come out, but be prepared to watch UMass Boston’s women’s soccer team play deep into November. 
Volleyball: In the final week of UMass Boston’s volleyball team’s season, they lost to both Western Connecticut State University and Endicott College, but defeated Brandeis University. Although their overall record on the year was 9-18 which is only good for a .333 winning percentage, they finished with a 5-3 conference record. That earned them the four seed in the LEC tournament, which earned them a home game in the quarterfinals. Eight of the Beacons’ nine wins on the season have come at home; they have an impressive 8-1 record at home, with an ugly 1-17 elsewhere. On Tuesday, at a time to be announced later, UMass Boston will host Keene State College.