66°

How to cut your coffee calories

I personally love coffee that is flavored and sweet. The problem is that I am kind of on a health kick right now so my usual orders are not nearly as appetizing anymore just because I do not think it is worth it to drink 300 calories when I could eat it instead. That is why this week I am going to tell you some drinks I normally order at Dunkin’ and the skinny versions for them. This is not only for people who want to live a healthier lifestyle but people who have health problems that keep them from being able to have a sugary drink. So, let’s get on with the coffee making!

The first drink I am going to talk about is your basic regular coffee with cream and sugar. If you went to Dunkin’ Donuts and got a medium iced coffee the calories for the drink would be 190 calories. That is not the worst when it comes to coffee but it is also not fantastic either. This is my favorite coffee so the way I changed my coffee up was by taking out the cream and sugar and adding almond milk and splenda. This brought the amount of calories in my coffee down from 190 to just 25 calories. Even if you just change your cream to skim milk and keep the sugar the drink will only be 120 calories. Another one of my tricks is if I am getting a Mocha swirl in my coffee, I take out the cream and sugar and just take it black. The coffee is still creamy from the chocolate and it is 160 calories instead of the 340 calories for a regular with Mocha.

The next drink I am going to talk about is a Caramel Latte which is packed with sugar and calories. If you order a medium caramel latte with whole milk, like it normally comes with, you are looking at a 350 calorie drink! If you add sugar that is an extra 100 calories and if you add whipped cream that is another 60 calories. So, if you get a latte with all of the fixings that is about 510 calories for one coffee. Now, if you want to cut that down a little bit there are a few things you can do. The first thing is to cut the whipped cream and sugar out and replace the sugar with a natural zero calorie sweetener. This takes the latte back to 350 calories where we started. Next replace your Caramel swirl with a caramel shot which brings the calories down to 170. Lastly, take out the whole milk and replace it with skim or almond milk for a 100 calorie coffee. That is about 410 calories saved by just changing a few things about your coffee.

Now, the last coffee I am going to talk about is an iced Macchiato, my favorite coffee to get at Dunkin’ to be honest. If you get a Macchiato with whole milk, sugar, and french vanilla  swirl it’s 380 calories. If you remove the sugar and replace it with sugar free sweetener you go down to 280 calories. Then if you remove the french vanilla swirl and replace it with a vanilla shot then you get down to 120 calories. Lastly, if you replace your whole milk with skim milk you will cut your coffee down from 380 calories to 70 calories. That is a difference of 310 calories and the coffee tastes just as good. Now, I do not want you to think that drinking a sweet coffee is bad because it is not bad in moderation. If you can, try to only get your favorite coffee once, maybe twice a week so you can still enjoy it but it is not your everyday coffee.