66°

Glow Boston: Fall fest

View from backstage at Glow Boston. 

Glow Boston had it’s annual Fall Fest, Boston’s biggest back to school party on Sept. 26, 2019 at the House of Blues. This event was made for college students, by former students in Boston. With that said, it’s an 18+ event and if you’re 21+ you can drink (Basic House of Blues rules). Imagine the 18+ club or night life that Boston needs and is lacking… and it’s here. Rather than having a venue open every weekend like Machine, Glow Boston has bigger events on special, designated dates that they sell tickets for. It’s better this way because the amount of people that show up have planned for it and it wasn’t a last minute weekend thing where they have no way to gauge how much of a crowd they’ll be working with. The great part about it though, is that if you did want to go and didn’t know about the event beforehand, you could still buy tickets at the door. So, procrastinators and planners alike, this is an event for you.

The doors opened at 7 p.m. and the event ran until midnight. The line up included multiple DJs, some from surrounding colleges in Boston, like Northeastern or Suffolk, and others who do this for a living. They also had dancers, rappers, 7-ft tall robotic costumes, and rope dancers hanging from the ceiling. The short intervals of different acts coming on and taking place kept the energy alive throughout the night. 

The first 200 people who got tickets were given a wristband that changed colors controlled by Glow Boston, so it was at random points their wrist would light up, with no one suspecting. There were two separate places to have photo opportunities with great backgrounds. A long line wrapped around waiting for complimentary neon face painting, as the crowd anticipated their night of fun to begin. There were giant white balloons being thrown around the crowd, as smoke and mist filled the room coming from what looked like futuristic water guns being managed by a 7-foot shining disco robot. It all sounds so crazy and honestly it’s extremely difficult to describe.  lot of preparation and time obviously went into this event and they pulled it off very well. 

The crowd was ecstatic, with old songs and new songs playing alike. EDM remixes had everyone spending their night with their hands in the air, jumping along to these fast paced beats. There was even a time when they played tracks remixed from Lizzie McGuire and High School Musical, with the nostalgia flowing throughout the room.

There was a big turn out creating a huge crowd and everyone seemed really happy and were enjoying themselves. It was like a huge, acceptable dance party that anyone could go to, so it was a great way to meet new people in your age group with similar interests. The best part about this event is that it really is for anyone. The array of songs they played was so wide and well known, you couldn’t help but sing along. 

Overall, the event was a huge success with great performers and really such a cool experience for everyone. By the time midnight rolled around, the crowd had thinned out and people were growing tired. Having class on Fridays is the worst part of going to a fun event like this, as it can run really late. Glow Boston has many other events planned for students coming up, soonest being their Halloween party. If you’re looking for a fun way to get out if you’re under 21, or you’re just someone who likes to dance and party, this would be the event for you!

Grace Smith, Editor-in-Chief