63°

Beacon Update

Men’s Soccer: The UMass Boston men’s soccer team is really starting to click as they have now won three straight games. This past week, they defeated both Salve Regina University and Worcester State University. They have now improved their record to 4-1-1 and have only allowed four total goals on the season. This week, they will host Bridgewater State University tonight at 7:00 PM, and then will host Eastern Connecticut State University at 4:00 PM on Saturday. Junior Nilton de Andrade remains the Beacons leading scorer with four goals and 12 points on the year. While they have had a ton of success up to this point, the Beacons schedule gets a lot tougher in October. It is important that UMass Boston closes out September on a high note and then prepares for battle next month.
Women’s Soccer: The UMass Boston women’s soccer team is also playing well as we approach the end of the month. After losing 2-0 to Babson College, the Beacons won their next two games against Salem State University and Western New England University. In fact, they shutout Salem State as sophomore Grace Oliver scored the only goal of the game in the 80thminute. The Beacons record is now 5-2 and trending in the right direction as they have won two straight. This week, they will host Regis College at 7:00 PM on Wednesday, and then will travel to Eastern Connecticut State University for a 4:00 PM game on Saturday. Sophomore Grace McGettrick leads the team with four goals and nine total points on the season. 
Volleyball: The UMass Boston volleyball team began their year 1-6 and were struggling for the first time in a while. Well, this past week, they got back to normal with a couple of wins. They defeated both Salve Regina University and Castleton University 3-0. Castleton was the Beacons first conference matchup, so they are now 1-0 in the Little East. This week, they will be busy, as they have four upcoming games. On Tuesday, they will take on Emmanuel College at 7:00 PM at home, and then on Friday they will travel to Eastern Connecticut State University for another 7:00 PM game. On Saturday, the Beacons will travel to Hartford, CT, to take on Kean University (NJ) at 1:00 PM and then Trinity College at 3:00 PM. If UMass Boston can have a good week and improve their 3-6 record, perhaps they can get back to .500 sooner rather than later.