66°

Quarantine weight and how to lose it

A platter of colorful vegetables.

Quarantine has been a difficult time for everyone. It has especially affected our health. For me, I began to suffer from a lack of energy. I started working out less and sleeping around more. I also developed a bad habit of eating when I was bored. It didn’t make it any better that I was turning to junk food for comfort. The person in the mirror became foreign to me. It made me uncomfortable to look at my reflection and observe the obvious: I had gained some weight. Growing up, I struggled with my eating and body image. It is something I still struggle with today, so seeing this gain ignited something in me. I wanted change. So, I made some adjustments to my eating and my day-to-day routine that not only are helping me keep my weight in check but are making me feel so much happier and more confident.
To start off, I made some critical adjustments to my daily physical activity. I try to find the right balance between cardio and weights when I am working out. A lot of girls are sometimes afraid of weights as they do not want to become ‘buff’ and come off as “less feminine.” But lifting weights will not just simply turn you into a bodybuilder! At least not unless you are not specifically trying for the look. Lifting weights can help tone your body and shape your curves in the best way possible. Starting off small is the key, and then you can work your way up to whatever you are comfortable with. 
This simple adjustment in my physical activity has made a significant difference in my life, but what has had an even larger impact on my health has been my eating. One of the biggest game changers for me has been prepping and planning my meals. I used to think meal prep was tacky. I still think it is, in certain circumstances. However, when done right for the individual person, it is an extremely helpful way to change your unhealthy eating. First off, making a list of groceries and sticking to that list will help you stay away from unnecessary purchases. It can also allow you to visually see and plan out what portions you take in. When I talk about portions, I am not necessarily saying they must be small. In actuality, it can allow you to see what nutrients, proteins, carbs, etc. that you will be taking in. Eating healthier does not mean you have to eat less! Making sure you are eating the right stuff for you and your body is what is most important. For example, I am anemic and suffer from low iron. I try to add as much green as I can to my prepped meals. Doing this, and making the right adjustments for my body, have made an enormous difference in my energy levels. 
Moreover, I have also started taking vitamins and supplements. I would highly recommend looking into certain supplements such as B12, omega 3, magnesium, and probiotics. After checking with my doctor which ones were right for me, I can physically feel a difference. I am seeing a change in the health of my hair, nails, and skin as well.
Overall, the simple adjustments of lifting weights, prepping my meals, and taking supplements have made a life-changing impact on my health and my journey. I once felt like I was on a sharply declining fall towards an unhealthy life. I was nervous and unhappy for almost every minute of the day. I could not escape the hatred I had for my quarantine body. I truly feel like a different person now, physically and mentally. 
If you are wanting to lose weight, but need some extra help, reach out to a doctor and nutritionist. These types of professionals can help you and will not judge you in any way. All of this can be said for individuals who are looking to gain weight as well. I encourage you to take the first step towards your ideal body and health, whatever that may be!