66°

Bruins win six in a row as new acquisitions excel

Illustration of Taylor Hall of the Boston Bruins in uniform.

It has been nearly two weeks since the Boston Bruins swung multiple trades to acquire the likes of Taylor Hall, Curtis Lazar and Mike Reilly. In those two weeks, the Bruins seemed to have turned their season completely around. What looked like a team that could potentially sell at the deadline now looks like a serious Stanley Cup contender, as the playoffs inch closer and closer. The biggest reason for the Bruins newfound success has undoubtedly been the additions Don Sweeney made at the trade deadline. Now that these guys have played a few games with their new team, let’s take a look at how they have affected the Bruins thus far.

Curtis Lazar

Before Lazar’s arrival, the Bruins were desperately looking for their fourth line to come alive. Ever since Lazar’s first game, he has bolstered the fourth line bringing an energetic and physical boost to the group. In his time in Boston, he has scored a goal and an assist while on a six-game winning streak. Not too shabby for a guy who was just thrown in for the Taylor Hall trade.

Mike Reilly

Before the deadline, the Bruins were extremely thin when it came to left shot defensemen. After losing Torey Krug and Zdeno Chara in the offseason, the Bruins have given opportunities to some of their younger defensive prospects, but none seem ready to take on a top four defensemen role.

Since Reilly’s arrival, the Bruins defense has been revamped both on the defensive end and on the offensive end. In six games, Reilly has proved his worth, putting up four assists while maintaining a plus/minus rating of a plus 4. 

Taylor Hall

Probably the biggest issue the Bruins have had in the past five or so years was their lack of secondary scoring. The Bruins addressed that need in a big way by picking up a former number one overall pick and Hart trophy winner in Taylor Hall. Before arriving in Boston, Hall admitted his lack of production with the Buffalo Sabres this season had shaken his confidence, and it showed in his first game with Boston. However, since his first game, he has posted two goals and two assists, showing that he is slowly getting back his confidence. If Hall can continue to bring another layer of scoring to this Bruins roster, they could be a force to be reckoned with come playoff time.

It is safe to say the Bruins have a lot going for them right now as the regular season nears its close. They have just won their sixth straight game, while the only team still chasing them in the standings, the New York Rangers just lost their second game in a row. Now that it seems that clinching a playoff spot looks inevitable in the coming week or so, the Bruins have to start thinking about resting some players. The Bruins had a scare last Thursday against the Sabres, watching Charlie McAvoy go down with what at the time looked like a serious injury. Boston cannot afford to lose any more players due to injury with the playoffs looming. It is important that the Bruins are as healthy as possible going into the playoffs.