66°

Gua sha and it’s benefits

Gua sha tool.

I always seem to find the neatest stuff on social media, especially when it comes to beauty and self-care. My routine has evolved, surprisingly thanks to TikTok and the many videos that people have posted, sharing their favorite home remedies and tools. I always like to try new things and learn more when it comes to taking care of my body. And one of my most favorite additions to my routine as of lately has been the use of gua sha.

What is gua sha? According to Healthline, gua sha is “a natural, alternative therapy that involves scraping your skin with a massage tool to improve your circulation” (1). It is an ancient Chinese healing technique that has been passed on by generations.  

To perform gua sha, you will need a crystal tool. It is typically a narrowed tool with two divots at the end of it. It fits perfectly into the palm of your hand and the divots are used against your jaw and neck. These bumps help drain fluid as it is pushed and dragged. 

When you are getting gua sha done by a technician, they will “scrape your skin with short or long strokes to stimulate microcirculation of the soft tissue, which increases blood flow” (1). They typically use oils or serums to reduce friction and to also massage these products deeply into your skin and pores.  

When I had first started incorporating gua sha into my beauty care routine, I fell in love. I began using my gua sha tool every morning and night with one of my favorite serums. At first I was skeptical, however after a few tries, I could tell it was helping drain a lot of tension and liquids out of my face, jaw, and neck. 

It has been around a month now and my face is rejuvenated. It is smoother and tighter. Just from looking at pictures before and after, I can tell my face isn’t as puffy as it used to be. 

Another thing gua sha has helped me with has been tension in my sinuses and head. If I have any pressure in my sinuses, I like to run my gua sha tool along my cheeks and forehead, lifting upward towards the end. I have been able to relieve tension this way which has truly changed my life. I always struggled with migraines and sinus infections so this tool has been amazing to diminish these. 

Like I said before, I was skeptical of how well this would work for me, so I am impressed by the results. 

I would highly recommend gua sha to help tighten your skin, reduce neck pain, and relieve tension in your face. If you find yourself struggling with any of these, then gua sha might be a good addition to your routine. 

Of course, I am not an expert in gua sha and would recommend researching on your own before starting. I was able to learn a lot about the deep history of gua sha and tried to learn from technicians online through blogs and videos. 

These types of resources are free online and can help you in starting gua sha. It is important to make sure you are performing gua sha correctly, as you don’t want to incorrectly tug and pull at your skin. When it is done correctly, gua sha will greatly improve your skin and health and can be enjoyed in your beauty routine.