66°

UMass Boston soccer kicks off LEC tournament

UMass Boston sports logo.

Thursday marked both the men’s and women’s UMass Boston soccer teams’ first games in the LEC tournament. Both the men and women finished in second place in the Little East Conference, and therefore played the third seeded team. The women faced off against Castleton University and the men went up against Western Connecticut State. Let’s take a look at how each team fared.

Men’s Soccer

The Beacons had a closely contested matchup with Western Connecticut on Thursday night. Shots attempted favored UMass Boston in the first half, as the Beacons attempted seven shots to Western Connecticut’s four shots, but the half ended at 0–0. The second half favored WCT a bit more as Western attempted 11 shots to UMass Boston’s five. Western Connecticut’s offense ultimately wouldn’t be denied, as Lorenzo Lauria scored in the seventieth minute. Despite the Beacon’s effort, they unfortunately could not get an equalizer, which ultimately led to a 1–0 victory for Western Connecticut State.

For UMass Boston, this result means that the men’s soccer season has come to an end. It has now been two seasons in a row in which Western Connecticut State has bested the Beacons in the LEC tournament, as they beat UMass Boston in the 2019 LEC quarterfinals. Unfortunately, this means that the men’s soccer team will have to wait until next fall to get their revenge.

Women’s Soccer

As for the women, they had the opportunity to go up against Castleton University. UMass Boston actually played Castleton in the last game of the regular season, which resulted in a 2–0 victory for the Beacons. Things didn’t get any better for Castleton as UMass Boston dominated the LEC semifinal game by a score of 4–1.

Things got started off quick for UMass Boston as Allie Crawford scored in just the third minute of the game. Castleton was able to keep UMass Boston at bay for the rest of the first half, but the floodgates opened in the second half. In the forty-ninth minute, Crawford scored her second goal of the game, and then was followed by a pair of goals scored by Grace McGettrick. Julia Carone scored the lone goal for Castleton in the sixty-first minute.

What is next?

With that win over Castleton, the UMass Boston women’s soccer team will be competing Saturday, Nov. 6, against Western Connecticut State in the LEC championship game. Western Connecticut has been the best team in the LEC through and through, going 16–1 in the regular season.

UMass Boston faced Western Connecticut on Oct. 23, and was served one of their worst losses of the season, with a final score of 3–0. Western Connecticut has been so dominant this season that they haven’t even allowed a single goal against any of their LEC opponents. In early October, Castleton came very close to taking down Western Connecticut as they narrowly lost in overtime by a score of 1–0. The fact that Castleton was able to stick with Western Connecticut should mean that UMass Boston has what it takes to beat Western. In 2019, UMass Boston beat Western Connecticut in the LEC final by a score of 4–0.

Update: Nov. 6, 2021

The LEC final took place today between UMass Boston and Western Connecticut State. Western could not have asked for a better start, as Skylar Jorge scored the first goal of the game within the first minute. Western did their best to add onto their one goal lead with 11 shot attempts in just the first half, but the half ended at 10. The second half was very even with both teams attempting eight shots, but only one would actually go in the net, and unfortunately it would be from Suzana Imetovski of Western Connecticut State in the sixty-fourth minute. UMass Boston would ultimately be held scoreless for the rest of the game, resulting in a Western Connecticut State victory.

For UMass Boston, there is a lot to be proud of from both the men and the women. But for some reason this season, Western Connecticut seemed to be both of their kryptonite’s. Look out for both the men and women’s teams to bounce back next season and compete once again for the LEC title.

Jonathan Hopkins, Sports Editor