66°

Top three books to read this fall

Maya Martinez
Francis, a freshman, reads his Japanese language textbook in the East Hall of the campus dorms. Photo by Maya Martinez / Mass Media Staff

As we get deeper into fall, I start to get excited for the new book releases that usually occur around this time of year. It is also the time of year that I read most, as the weather changes and becomes the perfect reading ambiance for me.

One of my favorite things to do during the fall—when I have the time—is take one of my current favorite books and head up to the top floor on UHall, and read while the sailboats cross the water, students hang out by the harbor and trees blow lightly in the breeze.

I love to grab a drink, too, and enjoy.

I wanted to highlight some books that may pique some interest, whether that be recent or upcoming releases.

To start, I would highly recommend picking up “Harrow” by Joy Williams. It is her first novel in two decades, and it will not disappoint. However, it isn’t for the faint of heart.

Williams’s work explores realistic themes and situations. In “Harrow”, we are faced with an ecological apocalypse. If you are familiar with her work, you know the religious lens she seems to put on when writing. A significant quote she includes comes from Luke: “If they do this when the wood is green, what will happen when the wood is dry?”

Williams humbles herself when it comes to wilderness, which is something many people forget to do. This is especially the case for those taking so much from the land. The power of it is highlighted in this novel, and it paints an eerie scene that could possibly be a part of our own future someday.
Moreover, “Crossroads” by Jonathan Franzen is a must-grab for this season. What promises to be the first novel of a new trilogy, this novel keeps you intrigued.

Following an Illinois family, we are exposed to the internal battles of these characters, such as privilege, purpose, morality and integrity. Franzen also ties societal issues into his work, such as responsibility when it comes to family, the question of self, religion, etc. As you read this novel, you can definitely see these smaller themes woven throughout, especially when it comes to the main family man.

I couldn’t help my own amusement as I read this novel. It was surprisingly uplifting at moments, which created a flow that was hard to come off of and stop while reading.

The last novel I wanted to recommend to you all is “As the Wicked Watch” by Tamron Hall.

I’m a sucker for a thriller, and this novel surrounds a journalist named Jordan Manning who is trying to make a name for herself.

When faced with a new murder, Manning is thrown into a corrupted realm in journalism and faces difficulties with ethics, competition and police treatment.

Although a thriller may not be everyone’s favorite, I do believe this novel brings light to some important topics such as ethics in journalism, and how women, especially black women, are treated by the law when it comes to situations such as this one.

Keep an open mind and give it a try!

You can find more information about these works online to see if any of these may pique your interest. You can also check out UMass Boston’s bookstore or library for these.

Happy reading!

Mikayla MacKay, Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Maya Martinez, Photographer