63°

City Hall’s growing relationship with the arts community

Josh Kotler
Artwork in the halls of the Boston City Hall. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

As the arts have become more and more appreciated over the past few years, many different city councils are attempting to create and solidify a relationship with their arts community. Similar to other administrations across the country, Boston’s City Hall has learned to embrace the artists in our city. They’ve come to understand the significance of the arts in Boston and how it benefits our city. For example, Boston appreciates how the arts “[enhances] the quality of life, the economy, and the design of the City” (2).
Not only does City Hall display current art in their galleries, but they are also taking applications and inquiries from Boston artists and art groups on a rolling basis to join their galleries. They also have a program for curators!
You must live or create in Boston to be considered, and if not selected now, your application will remain on file for future consideration (1). Everything can be found on their site to apply with qualifications and descriptions. If you are interested, make sure to get a portfolio or resume organized before applying.
As for the galleries in City Hall, these include the Scollay Square Gallery, the Mayor’s Gallery, and the Mayor’s Neighborhood Gallery.
The Mayor’s Gallery specifically exhibits work by Boston artists who “have received recognition for their artwork through grants, awards and other types of public display” (1). This is located on the fifth floor of City Hall and can be found following signage for the mayor’s office.
The Scollay Square Gallery exhibits work by local art organizations and groups that encourage and support Boston artists. This gallery can be found on the third floor. It is easier to find this gallery if you enter through Congress Street’s entrance.
The Mayor’s Neighborhood Gallery is similar to Scollay in the way it displays works from important groups and organizations in Boston.
Currently, artists Franklin Marval, Sarah Meyers and Sophia Ainslie are being displayed in these galleries, to name a few. You can go view the City Hall’s galleries, as they are open to the public, usually from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every weekday.
Furthermore, the galleries continue to grow as the City Hall has just begun their Emerging Gallery on their eighth floor, which they are using to highlight upcoming and new Boston artists (1).
The application for this new gallery can be found on the City Hall’s website, and I highly recommend taking a look at it, if you’re interested!
Moreover, the City Hall has gone beyond just displaying art and has implemented various programs when it comes to funding Boston’s talented arts community.
Some funding opportunities include the City of Boston Artist Housing Certification, The Boston Youth Poet Laureate Program, as well as numerous grants for fall 2021.
These grants range from covering expenses for artists and their projects to helping organizations and groups. One of these grants comes from the Boston Cultural Council, which “the BCC offers general operating support grants to arts and cultural organizations with budgets of less than $2 million” (1).
And these funds and programs cover many different genres and fields in the arts such as visual arts, theater, writing, music and more.
The City Hall encourages diversity in the arts and wants every Bostonian to know about the immense talent that lives amongst our very own city.
1) https://cityofbostonartsandculture.submittable.com/submit
2) https://www.boston.gov/departments/arts-and-culture

Mikayla MacKay, Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Josh Kotler, Photographer