53°

What The Record Co. is offering UMass Boston students

Mel Berilo
Exterior of The Record Company on Mass Ave in Boston. Photo by Mel Berilo / Mass Media Staff

One of the hardest parts of learning to play an instrument is finding a place to practice. It can be frustrating trying not to distract people playing noisy drums or distorted guitar. Similar problems plague even more advanced musicians. Finding a space to practice and record, along with the equipment needed to get precise sounds and effects, can be a major strain on your wallet. Here’s where The Record Co. comes in.

The Record Co. has recently opened up a brand-new workspace for people to rehearse and record music. Located in the Newmarket area, TRC has rehearsal studios that are available for ten to twenty-five dollars an hour (the prices vary depending on the studio size). Currently, they are offering these spaces for five dollars an hour. This deal ends on Sept. 30, so make sure to seize this opportunity fast.

Not only will you get a place to practice if you rent the studio, but you will also get access to TRC’s full library of instruments. A whole new world of resources can be made available at a much lower price than usual studio rates.

For people looking to record their music, the nonprofit gives access to their microphones, headphones, and recording equipment to those who rent studio time. For those looking to record a low-pressure non-complex track, these studios do not require the supervision of a recording engineer. So feel free to just have fun with the time you have.

For those looking to make more professional-sounding songs, the studios include a computer workstation with production capabilities, along with “a select collection of musical instruments, microphones, headphones, and other recording equipment” according to a recent press release. The computers include software like ProTools, FL Studio and Logic. With an eight-channel audio interface, a couch, speakers, chairs and studio lighting, things will certainly feel a step above recording on voice memos.

TRC’s brand new community rehearsal and recording workspace has four recording studios, 14 rehearsal studios, a community meeting space, and a production suite. There is plenty for new and experienced artists alike to get out of this location. For UMass Boston students, it can easily be reached by taking the 8 bus from campus to Massachusetts Ave & Theo Glynn Way.

Since January, over 2,000 musicians have gone to TRC. According to TRC Studio Manager Jamie Rowe, “Our recording studios have been so busy that we’ve noticed musicians and engineers utilizing our floating recording equipment to work, record, and produce in the rehearsal studios”. They are looking to welcome even more, and with their new Production Suite and two new Mobile Production Workstations, it seems that people have even more incentive to go. On this subject, Rowe said, “We wanted to create an additional resource for our users to work and create in a studio environment on a more flexible timeline. The new Production Suite allows for hourly rental with a selection of high-quality equipment for recording and producing.” To make things easier for music makers, the Production Suite includes laptop integration, so people can use their own devices.

If you want to use the Production Suite, Mobile Workstation, and/or recording studios mentioned in this article, go to therecordco.gov/reserve-space. There, you can book these locations at an hourly rate. With affordable rates, great resources, and the many different ways that their resources can be used, TRC is a great resource for people looking to record. Whether it’s a podcast, a lengthy concept album, a cool beat or a few rough demos, this is a great resource for those who have any interest whatsoever in creating.

Kyle Makkas, Humor Writer
Mel Berilo, Photographer