63°

Beacon Update

UMass Boston Sports Logo.

Last semester was easily the most unusual semester we have all endured in our lifetime and probably ever will. Yes, it was tough having to attend all of our classes through the screen of a laptop or a phone, but for some people the toughest part of last semester was the fact that there were no sports on campus to enjoy. However, we did receive some good news about sports in 2021. As of right now sports in the spring semester should be making a return barring any health and safety issues and concerns. So, because it looks like we will be getting sports back at UMass Boston this semester, I thought we should take a look back at how our spring sports fared a year ago before the world fell into a pandemic.

Men’s Baseball

A year ago, the men’s baseball team here at UMass Boston didn’t really have too much of an opportunity to show their full potential. They ended the year with a 31 record while having some big games offensively. In one game against Framingham State University they even scored 15 runs, a truly dominant win. It is too bad that this baseball team didn’t get the opportunity to compete in the conference tournament. I fully expect them to have another great year and to show their full potential this spring.
Women’s Softball

Unfortunately for last year‘s women’s softball team, their season was set to begin right as the pandemic began, which ultimately forced their season to be ended before it could even kick off. However, in the spring of 2019, the Beacons went 2320 while also winning two games in the Little East Conference tournament. It is difficult to judge a team based on their achievements from two years ago, which is why I find it very interesting to see how the women’s softball team fares at UMass Boston this spring. 

Men’s Lacrosse

Like the UMass Boston men’s baseball team, the men’s lacrosse team only had a few games to put their skills on display, and did they ever. Each of the first four games the men’s lacrosse team played were won in dominant fashion in favor of UMass Boston. The men’s lacrosse team is one of the most promising teams on campus, and it is very exciting to be able to see them compete again soon.

It is a relief to finally see some sort of normalcy return to our great campus and having sports return is one big step in the right direction. The next big step would be to finally return to having school in person. Unfortunately, we already know that that won’t be happening at least until the fall of 2021. With the news that UMass Boston will be having minimal students on campus this spring, this likely means that there will be no fans at any of the sporting events this spring. Although this may be upsetting to hear, the health of the students, the players and all the fans will take priority, so the Little East Conference will be taking very precise precautions when it comes to the safety of everyone involved in spring sports. For now, all we can really do is be thankful that we are finally getting sports back at our school.