55°

UMass Boston students move out of residence halls

?
UMass Boston residence halls.

On Wednesday, March 11, students living in the University of Massachusetts Boston Residence Halls were notified by email that due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Residence Halls would be closing on Saturday, March 14. Students were instructed to take any belongings with them that they might need for the next few weeks, but not to move completely out of their rooms. Students who needed to stay on campus for logistical reasons or for any other special circumstance were required to fill out a permission to stay waiver by Thursday, March 12 , at 5 p.m., that would allow them to stay in the halls from March 14 until April 4. Guest privileges were revoked on Wednesday night for all residents, and dining hall hours diminished.

On Sunday, March 15, following Chancellor Newman’s email announcing that UMass Boston would be transitioning to remote learning for the remainder of the academic year, an email was sent to residents announcing the closure of the residence halls for the rest of the semester. The email stated that those who had originally obtained waivers to approve their stay in the residence halls for the period of March 14 to April 4 had to leave the residence halls by Wednesday, March 18 at 5 p.m., and only students with “extenuating circumstances” would be permitted to stay.

Two days later, on Tuesday, March 17, residents received an email describing the appointment process that would be used in order for students to be able to safely retrieve their belongings from the residence halls.

Appointments began on Wednesday, March 18 at 8 a.m. Each appointment was scheduled to be two hours long. The email stated: “We are carefully controlling the appointment process so as to adhere to current state and national social distancing guidance as well as safeguarding staff and other students,” and outlined many precautionary measures that students should take while moving out. Students were asked not to return to campus outside of their scheduled appointment time, and to bring only one person to help with the move-out process.

During the move-out process, students were required to sign in at their scheduled appointment time, and could then begin to move out their belongings. Common areas such as the lobby in the West Hall and common rooms on floors were blocked off. After moving out, residents were required to seal their key fob and mail key in an envelope at the front desk.

On Monday, March 23, Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker issued a “stay-at-home advisory.” The advisory took effect on Tuesday, March 24 at noon, and is scheduled to remain in effect until Tuesday, April 7 at noon. All “non-essential” organizations were required to close their physical locations. The advisory also led to the amendment of Baker’s earlier restriction on gatherings larger than 25, to restricting gatherings of more than 10 people.

At 6 p.m. that night, the housing office sent out an email addressing the stay-at-home advisory. The email stated: “We are requesting that any student who has a future appointment to move their items out of their room, that they come tonight or tomorrow to adhere to the Governor’s wishes.” The email explained that students who could not move out completely before Tuesday, March 24, would need to wait until after the advisory has been lifted to move their belongings out, but that they were welcome to leave their belongings there for the duration of the advisory if moving out before March 24 was not possible for them. All appointments on Tuesday, March 24, remained scheduled.

Sources:

https://www.mass.gov/news/governor-charlie-baker-orders-all-non-essential-businesses-to-cease-in-person-operation

Abigail Basile, News Editor