66°

FitBit Versa 2 Review

Recently, I’ve finally gotten myself a FitBit Versa 2. Before this, I was the person with the phone attached to her hip to track the step count we’re all so worked up about reaching these days. I even found myself tucking my phone into my bra or pants when I wasn’t wearing an outfit with pockets. Not anymore, though. I’m still ultimately figuring it out in full, but here’s a basic rundown of the simple stuff it can do that I use it for the most. 

While most of this stuff can only be mainly read through the FitBit app on your phone (available for both iOS and Android), there are occasionally some things that can be read from the display on your FitBit. But you’re ultimately better off reading from the app on your phone. It’s a little annoying, but daring to call this the cheap version of an Apple Watch, it’s not a bad steal. And it even comes with Alexa, though I still haven’t figured that part out, since I mainly just use Siri on my iPhone.

Other than step count, I mostly just use this to track my calories burned during workouts. Nothing like a “cheap” smartwatch, weight lifting gloves, and AirPods in the gym to make you feel like a pro! 

1. StepCount

To make it easier to break it down into a more manageable goal, this FitBit will alert you by the hour (out of nine) to reach your step count. They don’t disappear just because you didn’t reach it by the end of the hour, but more or less roll over into the next. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more excited about reaching my hourly step goal than when I feel that buzz on my wrist and look down to see I reached it “in time”. Is that pathetic or does that just make me a nerd? Sure, there are the occasional gaps where I can’t wear it while it charges, but thanks to its beautiful lengthy battery life, I don’t need to charge it for two or three days at a time.

1. HeartRate

If you get this, I have to warn you. It’s not the most accurate, but it’s fun guessing what scenarios piss you off and elevate your heart rate to what are your best, most optimal life scenarios. According to Android Authority during its own test of this FitBit for heart rate, “The Versa 2’s average B.P.M. came in at 155, while the Tickr X reported 159 and the Forerunner reported 162 […] No wrist-based sensor will be as accurate as a chest strap, but the Versa 2 does hold its own against a more advanced running watch like the Forerunner 245 Music. FitBit recently released FitBit OS version 4.1.1. for the Versa 2, which is said to improve the heart rate tracking algorithm. This should make things more accurate overall, though we haven’t noticed a change in our review unit.”

I don’t know what it says about me that my “target heart rate” is at its best when I’m home in my office hiding from life and people in general unless they’re in my favorite social circles! Maybe I’m just a select recluse? Oops.

1. Sleep

I haven’t slept properly in months, but wearing this to bed at night has made me at least a bit more mindful of my sleep patterns. You can set the time of when you go to bed and wake up if you’re consistent enough. In tracking your sleep it can even tell you how long you spent awake, in R.E.M, in light sleep, and even deep sleep. It also gives you an overall sleep score for that night’s sleep based on all the above.

Overall: If you want a smartwatch that does all the above and simple stuff, this is your best bet. I got mine on Amazon for about $200, but sometimes you can find cheaper on eBay or other places.