63°

Tuukka Rask unsure about future

Tuukka Rask has been the Boston Bruins’ starting goalie ever since Tim Thomas took a yearlong hiatus in the 2012-2013 season. Since then, Rask has led us to five playoff appearances and two finals appearances, with unfortunately no championships to show for it.

Rask had been making a case for a Vezina Trophy right up until the abrupt stoppage of play due to the spread of COVID-19. Up to this point, Rask had led the Black and Gold to first place in the NHL, while posting a 2686 record and holding a .929 save percentage. But despite his great 2019-2020 campaign, Rask has made it known that he isn’t too sure about his future in the NHL.

Just yesterday, Rask said that he isn’t sure whether he will continue playing after his contract with the Bruins is up. Luckily for the Bruins, Rask is giving them about a year-and-a-half’s notice since his contract isn’t officially up until after the 2020-2021 season is over. The Bruins should have enough time between now and then to find a new goaltender for the future.

Let’s take a look at Rask’s career as a whole.

Rask has put together what will most likely be a hall-of-fame career, even though he is only 33 years old. He got his first NHL action in 2007, and since then he has a career record of 291–158–64. with 50 shutouts while holding a .922 career save percentage. Although he has never won a Stanley Cup as a starter, he does have one as a back up in 2011 and has had two finals appearances as a starter. He led the Bruins to a President’s Trophy in 2013-2014 and was well on his way to doing the same in 2020 before the season was suspended. He is also a Vezina trophy winner as the best goalie in 2014. He is the winningest goalie in Bruins history after only being the full time starter since 2012.

Rask has been arguably the best goaltender in Bruins history thus far and it seems he is just now in the middle of his prime. If he were to retire after next season it would definitely be considered an early retirement and many would probably say that he is leaving a few years of top tier goaltending behind by retiring. Either way, he has the accolades to say that he has had a great career and potentially a hall of fame career. Even if he doesn’t end up with a Stanley Cup as a starting goaltender, he does have one to his name by being a backup goaltender on the 2010-2011 Bruins team.

As for right now, Rask needs to make sure that these thoughts of retirement haven’t crept too far into his mind, as there is still the potential for a playoff run coming in the next few months. With this being potentially his last kick at the can for a Stanley Cup victory, expect him to be at his best if the Bruins do get a chance to compete for a championship. A championship to Rask’s name as a starting goaltender would most definitely solidify his legacy as a Hall of Famer.

Jonathan Hopkins, Sports Editor