66°

Netflix and quarantine

Are you stuck in the house trying to figure out what to do? Have you caught up on all your assignments or just need a break? The best way to wind down after a long day full of homework is to log onto Netflix. Looking at all the options can be pretty overwhelming and often more stressful than the calculus homework that was assigned to you. Even though there are all these options, thankfully Netflix has a lot of genres and categories that help keep you organized.

After being cooped up in the house, a comedy may be the best form of relief in any household. A popular movie just released in 2019 is “Murder Mystery,” starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Sandler plays a New York cop married to Aniston. They go on a European vacation and find themselves caught up in a crime scene, being pinned for the murder of a wealthy man they did not know. The movie goes through the journey of them proving their innocence and is the perfect way to not only lighten the mood but focus on solving a mystery for the duration of the movie.

If a comedy is not in the books for the night and you’re feeling more on the romantic side of the night, “After” or “The Last Summer” are two personal favorites. “After,” a movie based on the five-book series by Anna Todd, tells the difficult love story of Hardin Scott and Tessa Young, a couple with their ups and downs in college. It is a passionate love story with lots of twists and turns that will keep you intrigued the whole time. The second movie, “The Last Summer,” tells the story of multiple couples, all recent high school graduates, during their summer before leaving for college and starting life. It is a feel-good movie that is the perfect way to fill your day with a little bit more romance. 

The next recommended movie is horror. Save this one for the nighttime because it will definitely put you in the horror movie mood in the darkness. “The Autopsy of Jane Doe” is a movie about two coroners, a father and son duo, that begin their initial autopsy on the body of an unknown murder victim. The movie zones in on all the mysterious activity and clues they find along the way. The film was released in 2017 from Russia and was a low-budget film that ended up portraying the creepiness of this autopsy throughout the film using limited special effects, boosting the creep factor all the way up!

If you’re looking for a movie that hits close to home, “Spenser Confidential” is the perfect movie for you. Before you watch, it is important to note that this film is rated R. Based off the hit TV show from 1985, the movie tells the tale of a former police detective played by Mark Wahlberg, a Boston favorite, who gets wrapped up in the murder of a Boston policeman. The movie is shot throughout all of Boston, and you can even see the Columbia Road Exit, as well as bits and pieces of our very own JFK Library. 

All in all, Netflix has a huge variety of movies and even though it is seemingly impossible to pick a movie, there are plenty of options. If you’ve already seen the movies listed, there is usually a recommended movie that follows at the closing scene. Branch out and try to find different movies to try during this quarantine. We all know we have the extra time now!