66°

How to make breakfast better

Looking for a new way to start your day? Focus on breakfast! It is the most important meal of the day, but eating the same thing every day can get boring quickly. Each day feels like the same as the last one in this quarantine, so try to change up your diet and palate, and expand into making various breakfast entrees. Each of the recipes I list will contain at the most five ingredients so it should stay in a tight budget easily and should be relatively easy to make, as I am definitely not even close to someone who can cook well. 

1. Yogurt Bark

I know this sounds a bit odd, because what even is it? But, don’t knock it till you try it! For this recipe you will need the following: 2 cups of vanilla yogurt, ½  cup of sliced almonds, 1 cup of fresh fruit of your choice, and 1 cup of granola.

You’ll want to grab a rimmed baking sheet and to put parchment paper on top of it. Then, put the yogurt onto the pan and sprinkle in the granola and fruit. After this, all you have to do is freeze it! This is great for an on-the-go snack, but can take up a good amount of room in your freezer, so if you share it with your family or roommates then you’ll be able to finish it quickly.

1. Chia pudding in a mason jar

Obviously you don’t have to have a mason jar to complete this recipe, it’s just the perfect size and an easy meal to make in it! 

For this recipe you will need: 1 cup of sweetened almond milk, ¼ cup chia seeds, 1 cup of fresh fruit diced (of your choosing). You can also choose to add almonds, walnuts, or coconut flakes to this as well but it is not required.

Take your mason jar, and pour in the almond milk, chia seeds and fruit and shake it all together. After allowing it to sit for 20 minutes, you’ll be able to enjoy it! If you want to prepare this meal as well, you can mix the almond milk and chia seeds the night before and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Fun fact, this is considered a vegan option as well.

1. Reese’s Banana Smoothie

While this recipe doesn’t include Reese’s themselves, it does contain chocolate and peanut butter to give you that great combination we all love. 

For this recipe you will need: ¾ cup of milk of your choice (can be almond, oat, one percent, etc.), 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix, and 1 cup of frozen banana sliced. 

There aren’t many instructions to go along with this except to use a blender and to mix all of the ingredients together until blended smoothly. This is a much healthier option that can satisfy those cravings we all get for candy, especially while being locked inside the house. 

1. Peanut butter yogurt with rice cakes

I know how weird this sounds, but it actually is very good. I’m a super picky eater, and this basic combination of a few staple breakfast foods is a great way to switch it up so you’re not eating the same thing day in and day out. 

For this recipe you will need: 1 cup of vanilla greek yogurt, ½ cup of peanut butter, ½ cup of chocolate chips, and rice cakes

All that has to be done for this recipe is to combine the ingredients. You can mix the peanut butter and yogurt all together in a bowl and then add the chocolate chips. Top each rice cake with this recipe and fill yourself up with a sweet, healthy breakfast.

Grace Smith, Editor-in-Chief