61°

Easy at-home workouts

One of the best ways to pass time when you are bored during this quarantine is working out. If you are bored in your house and cannot stand to go on yet another walk with your family, escaping to your room to focus on abs, legs, arms, or even glutes is a good way to stay fit on your own and build up some muscle. Everybody is different, and everybody has their own schedule, so different focus areas apply to everybody. 

If you are looking for a quick workout to fit in between Zoom calls, your ab area is the fastest area you can work on. There are hundreds of ab workouts you can do in less than ten minutes that will show significant process over the course of this extended quarantine. A personal favorite ab workout I have been sticking to is the eight minute Bowflex ab workout. The video consists of a trainer working through two sets of four quick and easy ab workouts. He has two people demonstrating two different ways you can do the exercise depending on the difficulty, which increases motivation to get to the hardest version you can achieve. The workout also includes important specifics that many leave out, such as how long you should be taking a break in between each set which is crucial for not hurting yourself when trying the difficult version of the set. 

The next focus area is typically the most skipped over area on the body: legs. Leg day for many is accomplished at the gym after a hard-squat day with some weights, but quarantine has made that quite difficult. Incorporating leg day at least once a week will help to strengthen the muscles you are not using while sitting in bed all day. The first leg workout you can do is a simple lunge. Ten reps on each leg helps to target the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes all at once, strengthening these leg muscles. Next is the donkey kick. Again, ten reps on each leg will strengthen important muscles like the hamstrings and glutes. The next workout is a little bit more on the difficult side for anyone willing to go out of their comfort zone. It is called a pistol squat where you squat on one leg. Again, ten reps on each side. If you find that you do not know how to do this workout or have difficulty doing so, there are YouTube videos that simplify this or offer other alternatives for leg workouts that better suit your needs. 

Arms can be one of the most difficult because many people do not want their arms to be sore for days after their workout. If you keep up a workout that is on a daily cycle, eventually your arms will loosen up and begin to develop muscle and get used to the pain. A fun and effective way to do an at home arm workout is by starting off with curls. If you do not have weights ready and available, something I have been doing at home is using either gallons of milk or gallons of water. These replace the weights you lack and put a fun spin on quarantine workouts. Another workout to do for the arms is something as simple as a pushup. This is an example of one of the workouts that should be done daily to keep up with the pain that comes from arm workouts.

Working out during quarantine, while seemingly the last thing you want to do, is actually very beneficial for your health.  It can help with sleep and blood circulation which are both crucial in times like these for your immune system. There are tons of workouts that are easily accessible online and highly recommended if you want to switch it up every once in a while. Increase the difficulty each time or even the length of the workout and in no time you will see results that will make it all worth it in the end.