57°

My type of burrito — Felipe’s Taqueria

I accidentally ate breakfast this morning thinking I wasn’t going to be hungry for lunch. You must be asking, why would I save space for lunch? “Well, well, well,” is what I said after I finished a 12-inch chimichanga and super burrito from Felipe’s Taqueria. I went to the location at 21 Brattle St., Cambridge. The restaurant opens every day at 11 a.m.. On Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, they close at 12 a.m., but on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday they close at 2 a.m. To get there, one takes a 30 to 40 minute train ride from JFK/UMass Station, and then a ride toward Alewife to get off at Harvard Square with an empty stomach. Then, one walks two minutes to a dimly lit wooden restaurant that’s quiet from the outside and always cooking on the inside.  

The kitchen is in the dining room with a bar inches from the bathroom and a metal stand that contains spicy pickled onions, jalapenos, three homemade salsas, papers cups and small plastic containers. It’s like the kitchen is a band, as you sing to the cooks who take your nacho, burrito, or taco order. Once entering inside you can move in line to order or you can settle near the bar and walk to where the second line begins for customers. I ordered the super-burrito chimichanga to see if it lived up to the hype and it actually surprised me why people were going so crazy over it. The warm, gooey queso sticks to the burrito and there’s thin slices of jalapeños in the cheese that burst for a second in your mouth. The best part of this chimichanga is that you’re able to pick whatever you want. If you want pork, chicken, tasteless guacamole, extra pickled onions and extra pork, go for it. I only paid $14.35 as I decided not to get a Jarritos soda and stuck with water to be able to wash the grease away. I could’ve paid $13.50 but I asked for the sloppy joe-like pulled pork near the cash register which costs extra. My impression of this chimichanga is that it’s not good because the burrito shouldn’t be fried to be eaten. If you go to Felipe’s, just ask for a 10-inch burrito or a 12-inch, and you’ll be napping on your train ride home.  

The heated tortillas of a regular burrito look like melted cheese that sticks with flavors in one’s mouth. Biting into a regular super-burrito warmed my taste buds with the succulent pulled pork, citrus-marinated chicken, guacamole, jalapeños, refried pinto beans, and bland rice. The rice is decent but shouldn’t be asked for in the burrito because it really isn’t satisfying to taste. Anyways, I didn’t grab dessert because one super chimichanga and half of a super burrito left me stuffed.  

This casual restaurant saves time by you ordering your food, choosing desired guac, and seating yourself on any of the two floors. There’s a patio as well but it wasn’t a great day for it to be open so I stayed sitting at the bar. To be honest, the chimichanga deserves a 7 on a scale of 1-10, but a super-burrito or 10-inch burrito are on the line of an 11. Don’t judge me either because I was hungry but next time I’m going for a super burrito and repay myself with churros. So, enjoy yourself  when you choose your stuffed food items and that cheese-like burrito at Felipe’s Taqueria.