66°

Being angry is a good thing

For my whole life I have always been a person who is not easily angered. It takes a lot to get me mad or angry about something, and for this reason, when I do become mad, I become frustrated at myself. I would always beat myself up because I figured being happy and positive were the only emotions that would get me anywhere: a fairly common sentiment taught to many young kids throughout elementary school. The yellow, happy face was good, and the red, hot, angry face was bad. It was hard for me to turn my attitude around and notice how much good can come from just one person getting angry. As I have grown up, I have seen the value of anger, and the power that being mad holds. This being said, the older I get, the more things seem to make me mad. Tuning into the news has proved difficult as it compiles all of the things that cause me to feel mad into one space.

Recently, I have been able to see anger not as something to be scared of, but as a tool for motivation. Does climate change make you mad? Do our gun policy, immigration laws, or student debt make you cringe? Well, that’s great news, because there’s nothing better than the drive and knowledge that you have the power to make a difference. And you do, we all do! The next time you get angry about something don’t just tell your friend, tell your state representatives; tell not only one person but fifty people. Spread the word about your cause no matter what it is. I find it helpful to remember that you’re not the only person getting mad. Sometimes it helps to go on social media or the news and see that you’re not alone in this fight. As hard as the news can be to read, it’s a good form of encouragement to redirect your anger towards something productive.

Don’t feel ashamed to feel angry or mad. Feel proud that you care about something and then do something about it. I have accepted that I am going to be mad sometimes and it’s not something to be ashamed of but to embrace. There is an art to being angry and it doesn’t have to represent violence or hate, it can represent positivity and dedication. One thing that makes me mad is how much damage we have done to our earth, so I do what I can as a consumer to try to make a difference.

Anyone can be an organizer or a leader, and those titles are what you make them. If you think you don’t have time, it’s okayyou don’t have to organize a whole march to make a difference. It’s also very important to remember not to get mad at yourself if you feel like you’re not doing enough. Everything you do makes a difference; every act, word, or emotion changes something. Getting angry isn’t always the answer, but when it is, remember that you control it. Anger can be soft and quiet or it can be hard and loud but it can not be taken away from you. So be mad, be angry and be motivated. Never be scared to go for what you believe in.