53°

North Quincy High School moves to remote learning

Photo of North Quincy High School.

North Quincy High School transitioned to full remote learning for two weeks after reports of students attending a party were revealed over Halloween weekend. 70 students were reported to be at a party over Halloween weekend.

On Monday morning, Nov. 2, the superintendent of Quincy Public Schools, Kevin Mulvey, sent a notice to parents stating that the high school would be going remote for two weeks following the information about the party coming to light. 

North Quincy High School students were working under a hybrid in-person and online learning model. Some students were eligible for in-person learning during two days a week, and some high-need students were eligible for full time in-person classes. 

The students who were at the party have been urged to get tested for COVID-19 and to quarantine for 14 days. Athletics for the school have been canceled as well in order to protect the faculty and staff as well as the student athletes.  

According to a local Boston news station, Channel 7 news, around 9 a.m on Monday, students at the high school were dismissed and told of the two week remote learning. 

Photos from the party circulated on social media. The photos showed students at the party not wearing masks and not socially distancing. 

In a letter to staff, parents, and guardians released on Nov. 2, Mulvey wrote: “After consultation with the Quincy Health Department, I am moving North Quincy High School to remote learning for the next two weeks and cancelling Athletics to protect the health and safety of the students and staff.”

“North Quincy High School was dismissed at 9 a.m and Quincy Health Department Commissioner Ruth Jones is asking that all students who attended the party make arrangements to be tested for COVID-19 (with a PCR test) and quarantine for 14 days,” Mulvey continued.

Mulvey went on in the letter to explain CDC updated guidelines for close contact with COVID-19 positive cases. 

“Anyone who was within six feet of a confirmed positive case (with or without a mask) for than fifteen minutes cumulative in a 24-hour period in the two days prior to the onset of symptoms or two days prior to the test date for an asymptomatic positive case.” Mulvey ended his letter by asserting that Quincy Public Schools’ relies on the community adhering to CDC guidelines. 

Students who attended the party are urged to take a PCR test, which detects the genetic material of the virus opposed to antigen tests that detect specific proteins on the surface of the virus. 

According to the Quincy Sun, assistant to the superintendent Laura Owens stated that “Quincy High School and other schools were unaffected as of 11 a.m.  Monday, but the investigation was still ongoing.”

The city of Quincy is a yellow zone for COVID-19, according to the state Department of Public Health. 

According to the city of Quincy’s website, current numbers in the city as of Nov. 3 show “two week daily new case average: 8.1; active cases: 58; status: yellow.” 

Data around case numbers for the city of Quincy and other municipalities can be found at Mass.gov website or the link below: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/community-level-covid-19-data-reporting 
For more information about Massachusetts COVID-19 updates, guidelines and restrictions, please visit Mass.gov or https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-updates-and-information

Genevieve Santilli, News Writer