66°

Fall Festivities on a Budget

As a student myself, I understand the need to stay on a budget most of the time. It’s sometimes hard to get into the fall mood when you have to worry about your wallet and not breaking the bank. However, don’t be discouraged as there are plenty of inexpensive activities to do to get you into the fall spirit. 

One of my favorite things to do during this season is to bake my own treats at home. I am a huge fan of pumpkin spice flavored itemscontroversial I knowbut I love the warmth the taste brings. It never fails to get me into the fall mood. I love to make pumpkin spiced cookies or sip on some pumpkin spiced coffee. Take a look online for some super easy, inexpensive recipes and grab a friend to make them with! If say you don’t want to make cookies from scratch, then store-bought cookies are usually only about $2.00. Run to the store and grab as many as you would like. When your treats are finished, get comfortable for a movie night to top off the night.
Another thing that never fails to get me into the fall spirit is picking out my own pumpkin. Luckily for us Bostonians, there are tons of farms near us that have their own “pick your own” pumpkin patch. Some farms include Smolak farms, Brooksby Farm, Shelburne farm, and so many more. From all of the prices that I have looked into, it seems the maximum you would spend would be around $12.00 to $15.00. After you’re done picking your pumpkin, maybe challenge your friends or family to a pumpkin carving contest to get even more fun out of this outing! Moreover, farms like these also sometimes put on different fall activities for an affordable price. For example, Hanson farm has a corn maze that you can adventure into for around $12.00 to $15.00. This may not be the cheapest of the activities, however, it is fairly affordable and sometimes farms will have a student discount! I recommend looking up the farms before you go and taking a look at their website for more information. You can find farms with discounts and deals if you are willing to look!

Furthermore, simple activities like stargazing or gathering around a fire can boost your fall mood and these are all things that you can do with little to no money. In all honesty, just getting out into nature can be a great, affordable way to pass time, especially if you are on a tight budget. The landscape fall brings is beautiful and one of the main reasons I love this season. I love taking a walk down a hiking trail and adventuring out; not only is this great exercise, but you get to experience the stunning nature that comes along with fall. 

All in all, being on a budget should not scare you away from getting into the fall spirit. There are still tons of affordable activities for you to enjoy. For me, spending time with my friends is what I enjoy the most during this time of year. No matter the cost of whatever we’re doing, I always have the best time. I recommend grabbing a family member or friend to join along with you, to add to the whole experience!