66°

Campus food recommendations

University is a place where people learn, study, socialize, rest and eat. One of the things that I took for granted pre-pandemic is some of the amazing food options that UMass Boston provides its students with. Whether it was the dining commons at the residence halls, the food court at campus center, the Beacon Café in University Hall, or the extensive number of vending machines placed in almost every building in the university. Throughout this article, I will be giving you guys some recommendations on my go-to places at UMass Boston. 

First off, my favorite place is Handcrafted, or as I know it, the sandwich place. This restaurant is located right next to Pandini’s and across from Sizzlin. The only thing that I have ever ordered, and will ever order, is the California Club Sandwich. Ever since one of my good friends suggested that I try this sandwich, I have been obsessed with it. On some days, it is the only thing that I look forward to. Nowadays, this sandwich consists of house-roasted turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado spread, and a citrus garlic aioli on wheat bread. I usually stick to the original California Club, which is not so different, except for the fact that I get my sandwich with no bacon, chipotle mayo instead of the garlic aioli, and on a ciabatta roll instead of wheat, with some cheddar cheese. And if I feel like I want to spoil myself, I add on some banana peppers to the sandwich. The next best thing about this place is if you were to have any allergies or simply just want to build your own sandwich, you can just let Carlos or Tanisha or any other person at that station know. They will happily make your sandwich. 

Then on the right of Handcrafted is Pandini’s. This place is famous for the variety of pizzas that it provides. There is the plain cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, and sometimes a specialty pizza as well. In addition to serving pizza, they also serve their own version of chicken parmesan. But the highlight of this place in my opinion is their breadsticks and their singular chicken fingers. These are amazing in my opinion. However, you do have to consider timing; if you were to go later throughout the day, then you may not be guaranteed the freshest bread and chicken. 

Right next Pandini’s is Burger King.  There is not much to say about this place, because it is like any other Burger King, although it does have a limited menu and does not serve everything that Burger King serves. It still does have the usual items, such as the whopper, the cheeseburger, the chicken nuggets, the chicken sandwiches, and their fries. 

Of course, if you are feeling like you want to eat something light, then there is the Garden Toss. This place is like your typical salad buffet. You can grab your own plate and fill it up with proteins, hard-boiled eggs, vegetables, or my personal favorite, pasta primavera, which is basically like a macaroni salad. 

If you have classes at University Hall and don’t feel like walking to campus center, then don’t fret. University hall has the Beacon Café, which consists of some pretty good restaurants as well. 

The first thing that students see as they walk into Beacon Café is the fry factory. This place is pretty decent: it serves breakfast items in the morning, and chicken tenders, fries, and Texas toast with a side of special sauce (which is to die for) for lunch. As I mentioned earlier, if I have a class in University Hall and don’t feel like walking to the campus food court but am craving some fried chicken, then this is the place to go. 

If your craving some “Chinese” food, then right next to it is a place called Mein Bowl. It is kind of like Panda Express, and I say this very loosely. Their General Tso’s chicken hits the spot when I am craving it. With a side of either plain white rice, or fried rice, and some vegetables, it is great. 

Of course, talking about all this food is eventually going to get our mouths dry, which is why we cannot forget the main staples at UMass Boston: Dunkin’ Doughnuts and Starbucks. If you’re looking for some good coffee, then Dunkin Doughnuts is the place for you. My go-to order is the Caramel Craze Latte. If you’re looking for something more fruity and have the willpower and motivation to go to Healey library, then you can stop by Starbucks, a place that offers a variety of iced tea drinks and coffees, and delicious bakery items. 

In conclusion, I think it’s pretty safe to say that UMass Boston provides its students with some pretty decent dining options. Of course, all of these places are my personal favorite places to go to, and what I usually order from them. So, take these recommendations with a grain of salt. Also, I’d love to know what your favorite places to eat at in UMass Boston. Happy Eating!