66°

Beacon Update

Due to the fact that we are in the midst of a pandemic, the Little East Conference has decided to cancel sporting events for the Fall 2020 semester. This ultimately means that we won’t be seeing any UMass Boston sports until at least the spring semester. Unfortunately, this would mean that many seniors may have potentially played their final games with UMass Boston. So as a tribute to those who may have played their final games in the fall of 2019, let’s take a look at how our fall sports teams fared last year.

Men’s Soccer

Last year,  the UMass Boston Men’s soccer team had a pretty successful season, holding a record of 12–3–4 When it came to playing teams in their conference, they went 4–2–2. The season ended in heartbreaking fashion, as UMass Boston lost in penalty kicks to Western Connecticut State University in the conference quarterfinals.

Women’s Soccer

UMass Boston Women’s soccer had a tremendous season, with a record of 19–3–1 on the season. UMass Boston went on to defeat Western Connecticut State University in the LEC Championship game. Unfortunately, they would go on to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Stevens Institute of Technology. Nonetheless, it was a terrific season for UMass Boston Women’s soccer.

Men’s Cross Country 

Men’s Cross Country seemed to struggle quite a bit this season. They struggled to place in the top three teams at any of the meets they attended. Over half of the team will still have an opportunity to participate past next year, as they are still a young team, so look for them to show improvement.

Women’s Cross Country

Women’s Cross Country was in a similar boat as the Men’s team last fall: they are a young team with a lot of room to improve. With the oldest runner being just a junior, they could show a lot of improvement next time they hit the track.

Women’s Volleyball

UMass Boston Women’s volleyball seemed to put it all together right when they needed to last fall. Despite going 12–19, UMass Boston went on to win the Little East Conference title for the ninth time in school history. Look for them to be a force in the conference the next time they get an opportunity to play.

Men’s Tennis

UMass Boston Men’s tennis didn’t get many opportunities to compete last year, but they did finish 2–1 when they could compete in the fall. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, they couldn’t compete in the spring, but they did show promise in the three times they competed in the fall.

Women’s Tennis

UMass Boston Women’s tennis had a lot more opportunities to compete than the Men’s team, and boy, did they take advantage of their opportunities. UMass Boston Women’s tennis finished with a record of 14–2 and made it all the way to the Little East Conference championship match which they ended up losing. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, they were robbed of competing in more matches in the spring.

It is a bit sad that we won’t be able to see our school compete this fall, especially for those seniors who may not be given another opportunity to play. As for the winter sports teams at UMass Boston that won’t get the opportunity to compete this semester, I plan on doing a recap of their previous seasons later on in the semester. Hopefully, everyone can stay healthy so we can see our favorite teams play in the spring semester.