66°

Beacon Update

Men’s Basketball: UMass Boston’s men’s basketball team played two conference games this past week and split them. First, they played at University of Southern Maine, where they lost 80–78 in a close battle. Following the loss, the Beacons hosted Eastern Connecticut State University and took care of business. They won 73–65 and improved to 13–7 on the year through 20 games. With only five games remaining on the schedule, UMass Boston will be poised to make a push before the postseason begins. This week, they will play at Western Connecticut State at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, and will then host Rhode Island College at 3 p.m. on Saturday. 
Women’s Basketball: After winning their first game of the week, UMass Boston lost to Eastern Connecticut State University, ending their winning streak after four games. The Beacons defeated University of Southern Maine 68–55 in a big conference matchup. Following the game, they took on Eastern Connecticut State University at home and lost 78–61. Their record now sits at 16–4, with a conference record of 7–4. Although they have won 80 percent of their games so far, they have somewhat struggled inside of the Little East Conference. All of UMass Boston’s losses have come from within there, so once it is time for the postseason, hopefully they will be able to take care of business. This week, the Beacons will travel to Western Connecticut State University for a 5:30 p.m. game, followed by hosting Rhode Island at 1 p.m. on Saturday. 
Men’s Hockey: UMass Boston’s men’s hockey team played two home games this past week. The first came against Norwich University, in which they were shutout 5–0. The Beacons avenged themselves the following day, as they took down Castleton University with a 6–3 win. Their record has now been improved to 11–9–1 overall, with a 7–6–1 conference record. With only four games remaining in the year, it is time for the Beacons to really turn it on. This week, they will play two away games. The first will be on Friday at Johnson & Wales University at 7 p.m., and then they will play at Suffolk University at 7 p.m. on Saturday.
Women’s Hockey: After going on an absolute tear for the past couple of weeks, UMass Boston’s women’s hockey team came back to earth this past weekend. First, they hosted University of Southern Maine, and lost 3–2 in a close matchup. The next day, against Castleton University, the Beacons forced overtime, but it ended in a 1–1 draw. Their overall record is now 11–8–2, with a conference record of 7–5–1. This week, they will take on Connecticut College at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, and will then host Plymouth State University at 4 p.m. on Saturday. These will be the final two home games of the year for the Beacons.