63°

Beacon Update

Baseball: The UMass Boston Men’s Baseball team has been off to a fantastic start. Despite a loss to Spaulding University of Louisville, KY, while in Auburndale, FL, the Beacons sit at 9-2 overall and remain the top-ranked team in the nation. The team has yet to play against a conference opponent but will do so on March 31 against Eastern Connecticut State University in Mansfield, Connecticut.
Softball: While the baseball team has gotten off to an excellent start, the UMass Boston Softball team has struggled. With recent losses to Endicott College and the University of Scranton, the team has fallen to 2-8 overall. However, the good news is that, much like the baseball team, the softball Beacons have yet to play an opponent within their conference. If they do well against their conference, they very well could make it to the tournament. Their first opponent from the Little East Conference (LEC) will be on March 31 against Western Connecticut State University on the road.
Women’s Track and Field: The Women’s Track and Field team made program history over the break. Thanks to some heroics from Wadeline Jonathas, sophomore, the Beacons took home their fifth Indoor Track and Field National Championship in program history. It was the first title for UMass Boston since 1986. The team opened their outdoor season during the break, and once again, Jonathas turned in a brilliant performance. Number-two-ranked UMass Boston will compete in the Bridgewater State University Invitational on Saturday, March 24.
Men’s Tennis: After opening their season during spring break, the UMass Boston Men’s Tennis team currently sits at 0-2 overall, having lost 9-0 to both Methodist and Randolph Macon. The team lead the preseason polls in the LEC. With all their conference games left, there is no reason to think UMass Boston can’t win the LEC. The first conference opponent will be against Bridgewater State, in Boston on Saturday, March 24.