66°

Spring Break Daycations

If you’re like me and you’re going to be working most of Spring Break or you don’t have the time or money to go to Cancun, I have a few suggestions for good places to explore as day trips in Massachusetts and surrounding areas.

1. Take a drive to Salem, MA.

One of the most Halloween-spirited towns in New England, this place is definitely worth a quick drive. Right near the water, they have some cool shops to check out as well as some pretty interesting people to talk to. You can usually take a witch tour and see some of the different landmarks around. There are great sandwich and coffee shops in town to stop for a bite to eat as well!

2. Go to the Kittery Outlets.

Although a bit longer of a drive, the outlets in Kittery, ME have some great deal opportunities. There you can find Kittery’s Trading Post, which is a giant store comparable to Bass Pro Shops. They have everything from fishing gear and camping snacks to tons of clothes. Even though it sounds like it may be an outdoorsy type of place to shop, there’s a LuluLemon outlet right across the street. Kittery can suit everyone. After a long day of shopping, I suggest heading over to a local restaurant called Robert’s Maine Grill. They are on the pricier side, but worth the cold glass of Moxie and a “lobstah” roll.

3. Bike to Sullivan’s on Castle Island.

I recently did this, and I must say it is an enjoyable trip when it is above 60 degrees outside. If you don’t own a bike, there are new bikes for rent at $1 per hour available outside of Harbor Point, for those of you living near campus. You can ride to Sullivan’s to enjoy a burger, fries, and raspberry lime rickey, and also take a walk around the shore. The views are great, and there are tons of dogs to watch, which is always a plus! You want to make sure you spend a good amount of time at Castle Island before you hop on the bike after eating and check out Fort Independence.

4. Go hiking!

Considering the weather we’ve been having, there is always a chance of sun. If there is a nice day during break, I suggest heading up to Monadnock Mountain in Jaffrey, NH. It is also a bit of a hike—no pun intended—to get there, but worth it! If you can’t make it all the way out there, I’ve heard the Blue Hills Skyline Trails are just as good. Although they have completely opposite views, you still get a workout and some pretty scenery at the end of the hike that makes it all worth it. Make sure you bring lots of water and granola bars, but definitely stop for a sandwich or ice cream on the way home—a great way to end a day full of exercise.
Your spring break doesn’t have to be filled to the brim with work. There is always time to relax, but I see staying at home as a good opportunity to try new things and explore our surrounding areas. Even if you get to eat at a new local restaurant or just get outside one day, it is great to have time to yourself that you are enjoying.