66°

Pizza To Try In And Around Boston

To me, there is nothing quite like a great slice of pizza. Anybody who knows me knows that I actively refute the notion that there is “no such thing as bad pizza.” If you believe this, I urge you to go have a slice of Papa John’s and then come revisit this article. Great pizza is something that you know once you have had it. Most people believe that great pizza in America resides exclusively in New York, Chicago, and Providence. While those cities all have great pizza, though I haven’t been to Chicago, but sure do love deep dish pizza, I have grown up and lived around Boston my entire life, and I can guarantee you that there is great pizza to be found in this area. Here is a list of the pizzas you need to try in or just outside Boston.

Santarpio’s Pizza, Boston

To me, the discussion about pizza in the city of Boston begins and ends with Santarpio’s. Many will favor the next entry on this list, but Santarpio’s always comes first on my taste buds. With an excellent sauce, a perfectly cooked crust, the old school cornmeal on the underside of the pie, and the perfect blend of cheese, Santarpio’s can’t be beaten. Go to their original East Boston location and get the sausage and garlic pizza. You can thank me later.

Regina Pizzeria, Boston
You can’t mention one without mentioning the other. The debate between Regina and Santarpio’s has stood the test of time, just like the restaurants themselves. While I will go on record to say I prefer Santarpio’s, I would never thumb my nose up at a Regina pizza. Their classic sauce and delicious crust makes their pizza the crown jewel of the North End. They make a traditional pizza like nobody else in the city, so if you stop by make sure it’s for a Margherita pizza.

Bianchi’s Pizza, Revere
Here is the best pizza you have probably never heard of. When you go to Revere Beach in the summer, most head for Kelly’s. That’s not a bad choice, I love a great roast beef sandwich. However, to me, the real food destination on Revere Beach is Bianchi’s Pizza. Their delicious thin crust pizza makes a trip to the beach more worth in it than the sun and waves. If you go to Revere Beach this summer, make sure you take a break from Kelly’s and try Bianchi’s instead. Make sure to call ahead so you aren’t waiting in line and order a simple cheese pizza. Their perfectly thin crust and melty cheese is great beach food.

Galleria Umberto, Boston
While Regina is the top dog in the North End, the second best is no slouch either. Here, you are treated to a delicious Sicilian square slice of pizza. With excellent crunchy, buttery crust and a nice layer of sweet sauce, this pizza is one you won’t be able to stop eating. Only problem with Umberto is they sell out quick, so be sure to get there as early as you can!

Monte’s Restaurant, Lynn
This pizza is a Northshore take on the classic Southshore “Bar Pizza,” and I’d argue it is the best one close to Boston. These are personal sized pizzas that have a delicious homestyle flavor to them. It’s a hidden gem, but with an array of toppings there are pizzas for anyone here. They also have frozen pizzas to go—not a bad idea, since after you try this pizza for the first time you’ll be dying for more. Stop in and have a pizza with salami, one of the best flavors you will ever experience.

Honorable Mentions

• Pinocchio’s Pizza and Subs, Cambridge
  • Leone’s Sub and Pizza, Somerville
  • Pino’s Pizza, Brighton
  • Mama Lisa’s Pizzeria, Somerville