63°

Beacon Update

Baseball: The baseball team has been on a tear as of late, winning 11 straight games and earning a 6-0 record in the Little East Conference (LEC). Senior Dave Murphy has now hit 10 home runs this season, the year after coming off of an injury. Also in this 11-game rampage, Coach Brendan Eygabroat won the 300th game of his career, making him only the second Beacon’s coach ever to reach that milestone. The Beacons are currently ranked eighth in the nation for Division III baseball teams, and there’s still a lot of season left for them to even further improve.
Tennis: The Beacons tennis team has won six out of its last seven matches, only suffering a 9-0 loss to Babson two matches ago. With three matches to go in the season, including Salem State University, Univeristy of Southern Maine, and Western Connecticut State University, it would be nice for them to put together some more wins before they head into the LEC Tournament. In their last match against Rhode Island College, freshman Miguel Beltran and sophomore Onkgopotse Mokoka each went 2-0 to lead the Beacons to the win.
Softball: The Beacons softball team has fallen to 9-17 and 1-3 in the LEC. The good news is that there’s still conference games left to be played, which could maybe help spark the team. Another positive is the pitching staff, as sophomore Jess Greenspan pitched her first shutout of the season in a 10-0 win over Framingham State University. She only gave up a total of three hits while striking out six Rams. The softball teams next three games will be against the University of Southern Maine, Salem State University, and UMass Dartmouth.
Lacrosse: The Beacons lacrosse team is now at .500 on the year with four games remaining. Although their record is 6-6, they are 1-2 in LEC play. They had an impressive win two games ago against Husson University, in which they won 21-3. Sophomore Ned Parker led the way for the Beacons’ win as he scored five goals, followed by senior Clay Arnold, who strung together four goals. They will play UMass Dartmouth, Keene State College, Salem State University, and Plymouth State University to close out the year. Not that every game isn’t very important, but all four of these matchups are LEC play. The Beacons have a chance to make a nice run here down the stretch.