66°

‘Ready Player One’ Review

“Ready Player One” is a movie you truly must see to believe. It is probably one of the most unique and all-inclusive films to ever be made, and that is not an exaggeration. It is a movie made for nerds of all kinds—comics, video games, anime, technology, or really anything that you can think of. It is a movie based on all of the things many of us grew up loving. The film gives the message that we should not be ashamed of these interests. Long story short, if you’ve ever been a fan of anything, you should probably check this movie out. 
The film takes place in the year 2045. The plot revolves around this online game or experience called “The Oasis,” which has changed the world and how everyone interacts. Everyone participates in the Oasis, which fascinates large corporations. The creator of the oasis creates a tournament that will decide who gets control of the company upon his demise, which creates a scramble for power. This challenge also incites opportunity for those who do not have the purest of intentions for the Oasis. The fate of the Oasis, and therefore the world, eventually rests on the shoulders of a regular gamer that wants to change the world.
Tye Sheridan, who gained prominence for his portrayal of Cyclops in the movie “X-Men: Apocalypse,” plays Wade Watts, the main character. The film also stars Olivia Cooke (“The Signal”), Ben Mendelsohn (“The Dark Knight Rises” and “Rogue One”), and Simon Pegg (“Star Trek Beyond”).
This film was Steven Spielberg’s return to the director’s chair. In recent years, Spielberg has become much pickier with the jobs he takes on, but felt that this was a movie that fits his vision. After all, the movie is essentially a trip down memory lane of innumerable pop culture phenomena, many of which are from films Spielberg had a hand in making popular.
Visually, this film is just beautiful. The importance of a film that is enjoyable to watch cannot be overstated. This film jumps back and forth between live action and CGI masterfully. While the CGI is not perfect, it is not supposed to be. The CGI in this film is meant to depict a virtual world where we can see the difference between what is real and what isn’t. “Ready Player One” successfully does that throughout the movie, only adding to its fun.
At the end of the day, you will remember this film for one reason: it reminds you of your past. You have to see this movie to understand how many references to classic movies, great music, beloved video games, and even contemporary pop culture. It is a homage to all the great movies, characters, and innovations that allowed this movie to be made. It allows us to reflect on all the things we grew up loving, while showing us what we can now appreciate it, as a result of living in the era we do. If you are reading this article, chances are that you have been a fan of something at some point, so check out this movie—you owe it to yourself.