66°

Find Your Mass Media

I thought about everything The Mass Media means to me as I considered what I would write for my last printed piece in this newspaper. I thought about writing some long-winded, sappy piece on how this organization changed my life for the better and made me into the person I am today. Even though this is true, I didn’t want my send-off to be sappy. Instead, I want to use these final 500 words to let everyone know just how important it is to do something—anything—with your time here at UMass Boston.

When I first found The Mass Media—though, oftentimes I think it found me—I wasn’t involved with many things on campus. I was a part of a freshman success community, and I was working as an orientation leader, but beyond that I didn’t venture too far outside of my group of friends or my apartment. I had left a vast majority of campus and its many opportunities undiscovered by myself. That was, until I joined the paper. I was given the opportunity to explore my writing and, in turn, explore the city of Boston. I covered and reviewed concerts all around the city and found myself in coffee shops and movie theaters, discovering parts of Boston that most freshmen and sophomores never get to. Working for The Mass Media opened up so many doors for me, both on and off campus; not only did I make great friends and took opportunities which lead to other jobs on campus, but I found contacts at major record labels which will hopefully land me more opportunities for future employment. I was truly blessed to have known Donna Neal, the advisor for the paper who first gave me a job here, who gave me all the opportunities I could ever hope for during my undergraduate career.

There’s really nothing that could ever replace the valuable lessons, time, energy, and connections I made at The Mass Media. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to advertise how great of an organization the paper is, I’m just simply trying to highlight the benefits of being a part of any organization on campus. Find something on campus that will drag you out of your bedroom and that will spark a fire within you. Do not allow yourself to waste away your very short and very valuable time while here on campus. Being a part of something that is much bigger than yourself is arguably one of the most rewarding experiences that college can offer you. I’m not saying that you have to join a university-affiliated organization, I’m simply saying that, in order to make the most of your time in college, do something that makes you feel as though you’re truly spending your time doing what makes you happy. So go forth and find your Mass Media.