64°

The Midterms

Following the 2016 Presidential Election, national attention towards politics has reached new heights. For the midterms on Nov. 6, the majority of Americans headed to the polls to either voice support or opposition to the current administration. Prior to midterm elections, Republicans held control of the House of Representations, Senate, and the Presidency. Many were wondering if, with a lot of incumbent Republicans up for reelection, the “blue wave” was set to happen. Within Massachusetts, most major statewide officials were up for reelection. The major offices up for reelection were the Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Auditor, State Treasurer, and U.S. Senator. Each of these offices have interesting and unique races—some are even quite contested.
Here are the results of the Massachusetts races. For statewide offices, every single incumbent remained in office. Charlie Baker, a very popular Republican in a very blue state, won his second term. Maura Healey secured her second term as Attorney General beating conservative lawyer Jay McMahon. Elizabeth Warren beat state representative Geoff Diehl and will continue representing Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate. William Galvin, an incumbent who has been in office for 25 years, beat political newcomer Anthony Amore. Deborah Goldberg, the Democrat incumbent, beat State Representative Keiko Orrall. Suzanne Bump beat unenthusiastic republican Helen Brady—with a motto like, “Give ‘em Helen,” it’s no wonder she lost.
With regards to the ballot questions, Question 1 passed with a NO, meaning there will be “no change in current laws regarding patient-to-nurse limits.” Question 2 passed with a YES, meaning “a citizens commission would be created to limit the influence of money in elections.” Question 3 also passed with a YES, keeping in place the current law, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender identity in places of public accommodation.
Nationally, some important races must be noted. Progressive Beto O’Rourke did remarkably well in Texas, but couldn’t secure enough votes to beat incumbent Ted Cruz. In Florida, former U.S. Representative Ron Dion DeSantis beat Mayor of Tallahassee, Andrew Gillum. In conclusion, Democrats took back the House of Representatives and Republicans now only hold the U.S. Senate and executive branch. For now, Democrats have time to rest before 2020 comes around.

Matthew Reiad, Opinions Editor