66°

The Blindside of Christmas

The Blindside of Christmas

As Christmas time is approaching, there’s no better time to clear up the fog that may be in your glasses due to the sparkling snow of reality. There’s no “best time” to discuss how mainstream Christmas is in America as a holiday, regardless of the amount of different religions and their corresponding holidays we have in the country. Halloween comes, and it’s spooky season. Nov. 1 comes and it’s prime fall time, with Thanksgiving approaching. Immediately after Thanksgiving, you can pretty much bank on the fact that (at the very least) 50 percent of the radio stations will be playing Christmas music. Now, this is coming from someone whose favorite holiday is Christmas, so please don’t get me wrong. But our calendars are going to be filled with shopping dates for the ones we love, and different tree lightings or holiday festivities throughout the city very soon.
Every year in the media, it’s inevitable to discuss the color of the holiday Starbucks cups. We choose to ignore our everyday problems to talk about something as small as a cardboard cup we drink out of. This is one example of our utter ignorance when it comes to people’s problems, especially in the season.
In the season of giving, there are millions of people who are homeless and most of us don’t ever give that a second thought. People freeze on the sidewalks of Boston, while we stay inside with our families by the fire. They might be someone who was evicted after being laid off, someone who finally got the courage to leave their domestic violence abuser, or a child who has nowhere to stay after coming out to their unaccepting parents.
There’s a spike of suicides when Christmas time comes around, which might be a surprise to some, but just a fact of reality for others. This can be due to depression whether it be seasonal or just clinical with a rise of increased loneliness due to the gift-giving season, or it could be because people are so cold, alone, and hungry that they would just rather save themselves the suffering any further.
I know how many toy, coat, and plain living supply drives there are in December, but even as someone who tries to be an advocate for those who might that be less unfortunate, I don’t do half as much as I could—or better yet, should. There are always those who could benefit from something as simple as a smile, or as thoughtful as a free, warm meal. So this holiday season, rather than bicker with your family members of opposing political party views, grab a friend or two and do something kind. Don’t fall blind to your own personal problems this Christmas. Open your eyes and see those around you—those who are isolated due to their religion this season or their financial situation or, due to the fact that their family life could use something nice in their struggle of everyday problems that arise in life. We are all struggling, but some are worse off due to the season. You could be the reason someone chooses to see another day, so please think of these people as you unwrap your gifts under the comfort of your own loving, warm home.

Grace Smith, Editor-in-Chief