66°

Residence Halls Update And Responses

There have been ups and downs with the residence halls at UMass Boston since they opened early this fall. The Boston Globe had previously reported that there were several issues in the buildings, specifically the east building, with problems such as broken elevators, relaxed security guards, and poor quality food. This did cripple the school for the initial reaction of the article, however, many changes have been made and will continue to be made in light of this.

Food

Students reported the food in the dining commons would be served undercooked, as well as having a low variety of options to choose from. In response, the dining staff have added more options for food, and all items are stocked better as a result. They also have a cleaner environment. This was a big improvement for students, as it was a common feeling that the quality had gradually decreased since they first moved into the dorms. It seems their concerns of plastic forks and knives days are over, as well.

Security

With the addition of the security guards and heavier police presence, students feel safer. Still, the desk attendants are performing their jobs to the best of their abilities. However, one student mentioned, “. . . [I] feel they went overboard with security. All [we] wanted were for desk attendants to be there and for the doors and bars to work.” Many students have noted that there would be no reason to break the security policies if they were allowed more guests to stay, rather than the current policy of four overnight stays per month. That only equals out to every other weekend, so this was the usual reason students broke the security rule, as they wanted to have their friends over more often. Other students have commented on our overall lax policy throughout any buildings on campus. The dorms were the first step taken to address some of these safety concerns. Hopefully, the new security systems in place makes the community feel safer as a whole.

Responsiveness

Many students feel as though their concerns were heard, but not actually understood. Action was only ever taken after The Boston Globe reported on the conditions. Of course, it’s nice to be heard, but it loses that value when it was only due to the schools reputation at stake.

Conclusion

There was an article covering many of these same issues written by Mass Media staff member, Claire Speredelozzi earlier this year, and no further action was taken in any way. Things seemed to have taken a 180 type of turn in the dorms. They went from no security at all, to 24/7 guards and an ID and a key required to get in. The food went from being served on paper plates, to basically a buffet of fresh options daily. If all of this could be so easily resolved, then why was it not established in the first place? Was it a way to reduce the budget? Or, did they really not see a problem with this set up? Regardless of the answer, things have changed at the residence halls in UMass Boston, and depending on who you ask, it may be for better, or worse.