66°

Don’t Panic Tour Review

Don’t Panic Tour Review

On Nov. 14, I attended the Don’t Panic Tour, with headliner Lauren Sanderson, and her opening act, Sizzy Rocket. Before this show, I wasn’t familiar with either artist, but I was excited to broaden my horizons. I have a friend who goes to Suffolk University, and she’s known Sanderson for years, so she was able to score us some tickets. The singers played at Sonia, a venue in Cambridge. The line to wait outside was out the door for at least an hour before the show started, something noteworthy, as it wasn’t too large of a venue to begin with.

The energy in the room was incredible, you could tell everyone there would not want to be anywhere else in the world.

Sizzy Rocket came to the stage belting her newest single, “Juicy Fruit,” the crowd chanting along. She didn’t need an introduction. Sizzy performed songs from all of her albums, rocking her ponytail off her head, keeping the vibe very alive in the crowd. She played her own music on her MacBook on stage, with a click the music would start and she would sing along. Sizzy would take fans’, whom she calls the cult, phones and record herself (and the crowd) singing along. She hit notes higher than anything I would’ve expected by looking at her. She’s a fairly petite girl, with the voice of an endlessly powerful woman. By the end, I realized I had heard Sizzy before and I didn’t even make the connection, as she sang her most popular song, “Bestie,” and I figured out I already knew the lyrics. She ended the set dancing and jumping around, splashing water from a bottle onto everyone, including herself.

Sanderson hit the floor screaming her lyrics along with the crowd. Jumping up and down all over the stage kept the late, cold night in Boston alive. She is best known for her song “Written in the Stars” featuring PnB Rock. Lauren is originally from Indiana, but you would never know, with her L.A. style and attitude. She lit up the whole room with her neon yellow shoes clashing against her white pants and shirt. After singing a few of her newest songs off her recently released album, “Don’t Panic,” (something she has tattooed across her neck as well), she sang some covers of Black Beatles and Deja Vu. This was Lauren’s first time ever performing in Boston, but you would never be able to tell if she didn’t say it. It was just Lauren and her drummer on the stage, but they didn’t need anyone else with the amount of energy that was carried in just two people alone.

Towards the end of the set, Sizzy joined Sanderson to sing a song and play the piano. The crowd went wild for this, as rumors have been swirling that over the tour they have become an item. Dancing and singing in sync with one another, I think the chemistry was there, but that’s just my opinion. Both Sanderson and Sizzy Rocket were clearly very happy to be with their fans, and they made sure they knew that they would always be accepted and loved. I admired this, specifically how they highlighted the fact that they are just the same as their fans—there was no typical barrier between the performer and the crowd. It was a great show, and I definitely think that both of these artists are going great places in the future.

Grace Smith, Editor-in-Chief