63°

International Education Week

International Education Week

November was not only a month for stuffing your belly full of turkey and sweet potato casserole, it was also a month to focus globally on education. International Education Week, a “joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education” (www.umb.edu/global) occurred from Nov. 13–16. Throughout the week, the Office of Global Programs, with the help of other departments and student organizations, presented many informative and fun events on campus.
Tuesday began with the “Go Global Fair”, a resource fair that was held in the Campus Center Terrace gave students the opportunity to meet the different global departments, groups, and off campus resources for international study as well as student life on campus.  Studying abroad is only one avenue to expand one’s education globally. Campus programs focus on International Education right on campus such as the Confucius Institute, Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures department, Peace Corps Prep, and cultural clubs. Off campus programs such as the Boston Passport Agency also tabled at the event.
Later that day, Professor Vetri Nathan presented the book “Marvelous Bodies: Italy’s New Migrant Cinema”. Around the same time, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNam) and Casa LatinX, Refugees Welcome!, and Student Immigrant Alliance Club presented Latin Night, featuring students on the panel, “Undocumented Unafraid,” food, and a screening of “Coco.”  Tuesday’s night campus festivities were rounded off with the first of screenings presented by Cinema Studies and the French club with “Touki Bouki”, showcasing the African Immigrant Experience.
Wednesday began with “Of All, For All: Cultural Festival,” presented by Navitas GSSP including student clubs and students representing their culture and country. Later that evening, students put on their competitive spirit hats for the “FIFA Gaming Tournament” held in the Campus Center Game room. The second night of the “Immigrant Film Week” featured “La Misma Luna”.
Thursday was a day filled with the opportunity to sample International Education courses; “Open Doors, Open Minds: International Courses Showcase.” These courses are not limited to Majors or Minors in those perspective genres, but are great for World Culture requirements and electives. Later that night, Study Abroad Ambassadors, German, French, and Italian clubs presented a “European Social,” a night filled with mingling, eating, games, music, and movies. “Immigrant Film Week” rounded off the night with the screening of UMass student short films on the Asian immigrant experience, presented by the Asian Studies Department and the Asian Student Center. The “Asian Cultural Lunch,” held on Friday, was the finishing touch on an amazing, fun filled, educational week of getting to know other students on campus, as well as other cultures and opportunities to learn more about those cultures.
International Education Week was an amazing chance for students, departments, and clubs to let their hair loose and cross paths in social and interactive ways. It was also a time to raise awareness of the extremes of injustices showed to DACA and undocumented students. I take for granted my citizenship and overall freedom, and to hear from such young people what they had to endure to obtain the envisaged American dream was amazing to me. It is hard to hear and even harder to watch what our administration is doing to innocent people who only want what we all want: a safe and happy life and future for our children and families.
Students tasted each others food, heard each others music, watched each others movies, and made new friends. I, for one, loved the collaboration and working with other organizations on campus. It was such an inspiring week. I have found that I would love to travel the world and immerse myself in these cultures. There is so much learn, to see, and to experience. International Education Week only touched the surface of the treasure trove of culture on the campus of UMass Boston!