66°

College Football Playoff Update

We are now in the month of November, and the college football season is coming to an end, which means the postseason is right around the corner. A few years back, the NCAAF implemented the four-team playoff system, which makes this time of the year extremely interesting as we start to see who will be in and who will be out. The top few teams are pretty clear this season, but the fight for that fourth spot is going to come down to the very end. 
Per usual, Alabama has dominated their entire schedule, but this time it looks different than in the past. They last played the third-ranked LSU Tigers, in which they won 29–0. To shut out the perceived third best team in the nation is almost unheard of, but it was business as usual for the Crimson Tide. Tua Tagovailoa threw his first interception of the season against LSU, which also is a remarkable statistic seeing how he has a total of 27 touchdowns. Possessing the ball and not turning it over until the ninth game of the year is as impressive as it gets. Alabama is the unanimous number one team in the nation, and there might not be anyone who can truly challenge them. 
Clemson and Notre Dame are the other two undefeated teams who seem to be unstoppable at the moment. Clemson has been destroying almost all of their opponents, and definitely deserve their ranking of number two in the country. Notre Dame has not been routing teams the same way, but they have some key wins that will strengthen their case at making the College Football Playoff. In game one, they defeated the Michigan Wolverines, who have not lost since and are currently ranked fourth. As of now, this is the most valuable win of any team across the entire country. 
Michigan is the only team in the top four who has a loss, but as I said it came against a team in the top three. Therefore, as long as Michigan wins out, they should have a strong case to find a spot in the playoff. They still have Ohio State on their schedule and then the Big Ten championship, so they pretty much control their own destiny. With that said, it will not be easy for them to finish the year without another loss. 
After the current top four teams, things start to get tricky. Georgia is ranked fifth, and their one loss came against the seventh ranked team, LSU. As it stands now, their resume just does not compare to the teams in front of them, not even Michigan. At the same time, they have one route in which they could earn a spot in the playoff. They will be playing Alabama in the SEC Championship on Dec. 1. If they were to win that game, they would have an identical 12–1 record with Alabama, but would be SEC Champions. If Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan all run the table, those three teams would be automatic locks for the playoff. That would leave us with Georgia and Alabama for the fourth spot. Does it go to Georgia who would be Conference Champs and would have taken down the clear-cut best team in the nation, or does it go to the one loss Alabama Crimson Tide who did not lose until their final game and were the obvious best team all year? It is a tough decision, but I personally think it would have to go to Georgia if they are able to win out. Things are going to come down to the final weekend, so definitely keep an eye on these top five teams down the stretch.