66°

Five Easy Ways to Pick Classes

The course catalog for Spring 2019 at the University of Massachusetts Boston has finally been released online, and if you’re proactive, you would be looking at it now and putting the classes you want or need most into your cart, so you can hit that glorious button that ensures your next semester by the time your enrollment date rolls around. It took me some time to get the handle of picking out my classes completely on my own. But below are some tips to get you thinking about what to look for so it takes you less time freaking out and more time having fun with what time here you’ve got left.
1. Follow your degree audit.
You can get to it by logging into your WISER. It will tell you what you need as well as how many credits you have left to go. Try to not take too many upper-level (300/400) classes at once, though, if you do have a lot of those to take. Just one 400-level class can feel like two and last semester when I started getting into my 300/400-level classes, I had no idea what to do with myself. Now I do, but still, they are a lot to take.
2. Find at least one class that you genuinely want to take.
Having one class that you enjoy doing the work for is important because having something you look forward to makes all the difference. It will also make those hard nights where you’re up so late feel much shorter if a chunk of it is spent on a class you’re taking based on your enjoyment and interest in the subject.
3. Don’t take a class every day
Even if you’re like me and you love this place, and especially if you commute as I do, you will soon become tired of coming here every day. Try and spread your classes through the week with a gap day to spend elsewhere, whether you take one day a week to take all your classes, or spread it out with Tuesdays and Thursdays off. It is important to take time for yourself.
4. Planning on taking X number of classes? Add an extra.
This is something I just figured out this semester. I had been looking forward to the History of Boston class in Copley, but it ended up falling through. I had to frantically find a class last minute, the third week into classes. Luckily, I found one, with a favorite professor of mine, too, to make up for it (if you love discussions, take a class with Nancy Finn; you won’t be disappointed). I had been hoping to take this class previously but had been otherwise unable to take at the time. It worked out well enough, but it was still super frustrating to have to deal with so quickly. Moral of the story? If you must take four classes, look for a fifth class. You will have some time to drop classes in the beginning of the semester if it ends up being too much.
5. Don’t be afraid to take an “easy” class.
It may feel like cheating or an easy way out, but not when you have some 300/400-level classes thrown into the mix, especially if the class is on something you’re interested in. But for as much as I say you are not your GPA, it never does hurt to have a 100/200-level class tossed in that is super easy to beat through the semester. Getting As is hard enough already, regardless of the course level half the time.