66°

What is the Cheerleading Club?

Are you looking for a group with a lot of school spirit? Then check out the Cheerleading Club!
The Cheerleading Club was started in 2014 by Katharine Armstrong. The initial squad was an assembly of about 15 cheerleaders, but now stands at over 40. You can find the club at several on-campus and off-campus events, showcasing the University of Massachusetts Boston spirit. Currently, the club cheers at Men’s & Women’s basketball games, welcome days, charity events, fundraisers, and their own senior cap decorating events.
To keep on top of the game, the club practices three times a week, focusing on stunting, tumbling, and dancing skills. Due to the large interest there are currently two teams housed under the discretion of the club, the black team and the blue team.
Being a member of the Cheerleading Club allows students to show off their beacon pride, as well as make long lasting friendships. The club hosts team-bonding events as well as weekly themed practices.
The mission of the Cheerleading Club is to bring the student population together, as well as bring more spirit to the community. There is an idea that, because the campus is predominantly commuter students, there is a lack of school pride. The club hopes to reduce the gap, bringing more school spirit to all students. In addition, the school also hopes to promote students to attend more athletic games that are held on campus.
The spring semester will be the first time the Cheerleading Club will be competing at local competitions. However, the main goal of the club is to, at some point in the future, start competing at the National Cheerleaders Association (NCA) competitions in Florida. Winning said competition would allow the club to become a nationally recognized cheerleading team.