66°

Desk Bike Review

About a month ago, I read an article on the effects of sitting in one place for a prolonged period of time. When I finished the article, I finally found something I could use in my home office to work out on that I could easily just tuck under my desk. I set it up about a week ago and it’s been amazing. I tend to get just as lost in myself working out as I do my homework, and one of the great things about this desk bike is that I get to do some form of working out even when I don’t plan to. In times that I’ve used it, I’ve burned my daily goal of 2,200 calories in as little as 45 minutes, give or take. Bonus? You can do arms on it, too.
According to an article on Sharecare.com: “Eye-opening research shows that keeping your butt in a chair (or on the couch) for hours at a time can lead to cancer, obesity, Type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and premature death. One study by the American Cancer Society found that women who sat six hours a day were 37 percent more likely to die by the end of the 13-year study period; men who sat were 18 percent more likely to die. Another study tied 49,000 U.S. cases of breast cancer and 43,000 of colon cancer to prolonged sitting” (Anderson, 2012).
Granted, I haven’t lost that much weight my first week, even with all the calories, though my calves have certainly started toning up. I used to think having a gym in your home meant throwing $1,000 at the first best nice-looking high-tech treadmill you find, but this desk bike I got only cost me $40 at Wal-Mart (a Wakeman Fitness Mini Pedal Exerciser). The fact that it comes with all the required parts and equipment means that it’s easy enough to put together on your own for anybody.
While this shouldn’t be the ultimate ersatz for going to the gym when you can get away with taking time out of your day to go, it certainly helps if you’re like me and more intent on getting schoolwork done during the year.
Also remember, this isn’t the be-all and end-all of everything else you might be doing to stay healthy during the semester. Keep walking and drinking that water. This doesn’t mean you can sit in bed with your legs spinning away on this contraption while you catch up on your latest show on your next day off,  but it is nice for those of us who can’t always make it to the gym.