63°

What is Tarot?

Tarot
Tarot

When I tell someone that I do tarot, most of the time I get one of three reactions. They sit there and think that I am a very strange person for believing in magic cards, they ask me to tell them their future, or they understand what tarot is and we start a 30-minute conversation about it. Before I tell you what tarot is, let me tell you what tarot is not. Tarot is not fortune telling and what it says is not going to happen unless you want it to. I know this might sound contradicting, but when someone tells you your fortune, it means that it will happen. Tarot works off your energy and gives you small details about things that could happen, but it is not guaranteed. The Death Card does not mean you or a loved one is going to die. The Death Card is actually a positive card that means what you are doing or working on is coming to an end and that means you can work on something new. This leads to new beginnings and, most of the time, a healthy ending. The last thing I want to stress is that someone who performs tarot is not a witch because of their connection to tarot.
            Now that I have discredited a few misconceptions, let’s talk about what tarot *is*. If you use Google and look up the word tarot, Definitions.net says “any of a set of (usually 72) cards that include 22 cards representing virtues and vices and death and fortune etc.; used by fortunetellers” This definition is right and wrong. The deck does have 72 cards in it. This means there are 22 Major Arcana, or the most important cards in the deck. The definition referred to these cards as the ones that showed virtues and values. Along with the 22 Major Arcana, there are four different suits: Wands, Swords, Cups, and Pentacles. Each suit has a King, Queen, Knight, Page, and Ace, along with the numbers two through 10. What they got wrong is that tarot does not tell the future; rather it suggests things that could happen. Another thing that must be thought about while doing tarot is that each card has two meanings. There is the upright meaning, which is when the card is facing the right way when place in a spread, and a revered meaning of the card, which means the card is upside-down when placed in the spread.  
            Tarot is not this crazy thing that only a few people can do either. Anyone with an interest can do tarot. The first thing you need is a deck of cards, which you can buy on eBay, Amazon, or even Newbury Comics. After you have your deck of cards, the next thing you need is a book or Google. There are lots of free websites online that have very thorough definitions of each card and its meaning. Lastly, you have to believe that it works and if something does not seem right then do not listen to it. Remember, tarot is not fortune telling.