60°

Commuters on Campus

Commuters on Campus

As the University of Massachusetts Boston changes from a commuter school to a dorm school, there are a great deal of changes that will occur within school life and school culture. As an incoming commuter student, I had looked for ways to get involved in campus even before the semester started. There are several key ways to involve yourself on campus and each of them will help you avoid the stereotype of a commuter student. As commuter students, we have to make active efforts to involve ourselves because we don’t live on campus. However, opportunities are there, and it is our duty to seek them out.
It goes without saying, find a club you enjoy and immerse yourself in that club’s mission and goals. As a person who enjoys writing, I made sure to connect with the school newspaper during orientation. However, not every club has a table at orientation; in fact, many do not regularly table during similar events. As you have heard hundreds of times, joining a club is great way to make friends and connections on campus as a commuter. Events regularly occur and as a commuter it may be difficult to attend these events. To combat this, make it a point to set aside time in your schedule to attend at least one event a week. At these community events you will be introduced to organizations you never even knew existed. Additionally, you can discover events and clubs at https://umb.campuslabs.com/engage/.
As a commuter, try to spend lots of time on campus. Spending time on campus is the best way to make yourself a familiar face on campus. Hopping on a shuttle the moment you finish your 1 p.m. lecture is a sure way to struggle with making friends on campus. Find other commuters, connect with them and find similar interests. Connecting with other students through study groups as well as clubs is a great way to make friends on campus. These friends will assist in making the next few months bearable. Plan to explore the campus at some point. This is our campus after all. Go to buildings that you don’t have classes in and explore. Chances are, you might have a class there in the future. The Integrated Sciences Complex and the Campus Center are two great buildings that are great places to explore and find new places to study.
As a commuting freshman, it was truly up to me to get involved on campus. When you are looking for ways to get involved, do not, under any circumstances, get discouraged. Getting discouraged is a surefire way to quit looking for opportunities that interest you on campus.
Leave your comfort zone. It might be easy to head home after you’re done with your classes, but in order to have an enjoyable experience as a college student, it is important to feel uncomfortable as you explore a new setting.
Each of these ways will assist in helping you enjoy college just a little more. These will be a long four years if you are unable to connect with your fellow college students. Obviously, as a freshman, much of this information comes from looking into these issues myself. Just through talking to older commuter students, I was introduced to lots of opportunities on campus. UMass Boston has a great deal of opportunities to get involved and ultimately it is your responsibility to seek them out.

Matthew Reiad, Opinions Editor