53°

Mental Health in the Workplace

September 25—The School of Management at the University of Massachusetts Boston held an M.A.P. session in the Integrated Science Complex (ISC), in a conference room on the first floor. Led by Health Education and Wellness Promotion Specialist, Craig Bidiman, the talk was on the importance of taking care of yourself while finding a job.
The Management Achievement Program, or M.A.P., offers students in the School of Management opportunities to help in their future professional life. All students are required to partake in different activities to earn “MAP Miles” in order to get into higher level classes. While they offer speaker-series, M.A.P. events also consist of workshops, on-site visits to companies, and networking events. 
People started arriving at this particular event around 5:15 p.m., and continually trickled in until the official start time of 5:30 p.m. The woman overseeing the talk handed out a sheet for the management students to fill out with their name, school email, and student ID number. When Bidiman arrived around 5:35 p.m., there were 15 people sitting around the conference table and a few more scattered on the edges of the room.
Bidiman is an active public speaker and mental and sexual health educator. He’s spoken to thousands of people all across the world, mostly on traditionally sensitive topics. When Bidiman asked about the small audience’s day, one man mentioned the Business, Accounting, and Finance Career Expo in the Campus Center which, after Bidiman explained what he does at the university, allowed the topic to be turned to finding a job coming right out of college.
He stated, “I’m sure you’ve picked up on different ways to manage your mental health, how you manage stress, how you manage anxiety, how you manage all of this stuff! Today, specifically, is talking about how to manage those things during a job search/during work, when you actually have a job.” He told the room about his own past with mental health, and how he was able to succeed in finding a job and keep it. Bidiman has worked for UMass Boston since 2016; that’s about two years, with many more to come.
Going to interviews is a big part of a job search, and Bidiman talked about his own struggles with this, and was able to give the attending students tips for dealing with the stress of interviewing. He said to be aware of what’s going around you when you’re at the place where the job actually is. “When it comes to actively trying and looking for jobs, look at where you will be. Look at the space you’re going to be working in, take note if you’re brought on the site, the office, whichever. Take note of how people are, how they’re interacting with each other, how do the people greet you. Does anyone actually talk to you while you’re chilling there? Are people welcoming? Does it seem like a space where you can go in there, every day, do the thing, and be happy?”
At the end of the talk, Bidiman’s final point was don’t be afraid to ask for help, especially in the workplace. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) employers are legally required to make accommodations for anyone with a documented health issue.
While not a counselor or a therapist, he says to feel free visiting his office on the third floor of the Campus Center, where he helps people find resources to improve their student life on and off campus.